doyou use cloth diapers?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of using them? I am looking into using them do they really save money? How much do they cost to start using them? I could use all the info I can get since I know nothing about cloth diapers. Thanks!

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The cloth diapers themselves are expensive and you have to wash more, or course, but i think I saved a little money? I cloth diapered with my second and I felt good about it, I felt like I was helping the earth by not adding to the landfills. I didn't cloth diaper for financial purposes so I didn't keep track. I did use disposable diapers when we traveled because it was a pain, but I always used cloth when we were at home.
    Everyone likes different cloth diapers. Prices vary. I bought mine on Ebay for 14.00 a piece.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• YES!!! they do save money! It depends on what style of cloth diaper you use but you can diaper a child from birth to potty training for around $100!! That is the cheapest way to cloth diapering. It's with prefolds you put around the child then using a cover. Other options are pocket diapers which are awesome!! If you keep you eyes open for deals you can get those for around $5 a diaper!! These have velcro or snap. There are AIO (all in one) which in a one piece diaper that has the soaker sewn into the diaper. These are just like a disposable but instead of throwing it away you wash it!! These do cost much more per diaper. The pockets I like b/c it's very close to the AIO but instead of the soaker sewn in you just stuff the insert or soaker into the pocket of the diaper. I use prefolds with covers at home and pockets out and about! My husband even has no issue changing the pockets!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If interested in more info and pics about the different styles I made a facebook info page called clothdiapering101. It's all about cloth diapers and you can ask any question you want we are there to help!! :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cloth-for-Your-Angel/154562148342#!/pages/Cloth-Diapering-101/159006390808656
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We do the GroVia. It's a pre fold or snap in liner with a reusable cover. We sent about $400 and our cloth diapering supplies will last until our child is completely diaper free. They are size adjustable so they grow with the baby.

$400 for a life time of diapering saves money!

Jilliansdrawers.com has a try it program for $10.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i tried them for my first son. it didn't work for us...but i wish that i was more persistent. two different times we have had 3 kids in diapers! had i known then what i know now, i would have insisted that we do cloth!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I just started using them about a week and a half ago. So far it's been a lot easier than I expected. If I would have known I would have started 5 years ago when my first son was a baby. I'm using pocket diapers that I got on Ebay for about $5 each (including shipping). So far they're working great but some people say the cheap diapers will fall apart in just a few months. I didn't want to spend a fortune on something I wasn't sure would work out though. They just velcro or snap on like a disposable diaper, if he pees in them I just take the insert out and throw both pieces into a bag (it's a washable diaper pail liner with a draw string) If it's poopy I spray the poop into the toilet with the peri bottle I got at the hospital (just an idea I had and it worked) then I take it apart and throw it in with the other diapers. When I'm ready to wash I do a rinse cycle, then a hot wash with special detergent, then an extra rinse.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Also, my start up cost was about $200, which includes 20 diapers, 25 to 30 inserts, 2 wet bags (to put dirty diapers in when I'm away from home), a diaper pail liner, and special detergent. I bought 2 different kinds of detergent to try. I figure I was paying about $1 a day on disposables by shopping around and finding the best deals, so I need to use the cloth diapers for 200 days in order for it to be cost effective. I already feel better about how much less trash we have though.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I did it for about 2-3 mo withour oldest! I HATED them! maybe I was doing it wrong but they leaked, washing them was awful it was not for me!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it's easy, I never have to run to the store to buy diapers, that saves me so much irritation! I just dump the poo, wash them once then do an extra rinse. Cloth diapered kids generally potty train sooner, they aren't exposed to the toxic chemials in diapers, they have less diaper rash(due to no chemicals). You can re-use your diapers for all of your kids and then sell them/ give them away. You will be saving roughly half a ton(1000lb) of diapers a year from going into the landfil per child per year! I have actually converted three families in this area to cloth simply by using them. There are lots of different styles, velcro, snaps, pins(Most people don't use pins) all-in-on, all-in-two, fitted. Check out cuties with cloth booties! Added bonus: they're cute!
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I got started by going to www.jilliansdrawers.com
    there is lots of great info there. You can try any diaper and return it in a month if you dont like it.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010