How to go from nursing to bottle feeding?

My sone is 5 months old and I am trying to get hime to take the botttle more and more so that I can leave for longer trips. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting him to take a bottle or anything to get him to stop nurisng because I think for my sanity I need to stop nursing, but it hurts me to see my son cry when I know what he wants.

sarah_jo05

Asked by sarah_jo05 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sarah, these are two different kinds of tasks. But step one will be to determine that he will take formula, in any event. Best way? Hand him to caregiver and GO. You need to be absent entirely. This can suffice for any outing. The caregiver may have a tough time at first but tell them to tough it out and it WILL work.

Now, once that's established, if you really want to wean, then drop a feeding per week till gone, replacing with formula. Keep in mind that this will NOT change HIS nature. If he's clingy, whiny, not sleeping, what-have-you... he still will be.You merely won't be giving the breast. Which MAY make him worse than before, or may not. No way to know, and zero way to *guarantee* a pleasant outcome. It's a roll of the dice.

If you want some help with whatever is making you crazy, feel free to message me.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Give him a bottle of breastmilk, not formula. This is familiar to him and he'll be most likey to take a bottle. I bet you can make it one more month before weaning!!!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• we just did a road trip and my 6 month old used a sippy cup.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Let someone other then you give him a bottle of breastmilk, as that is what he is used to. Do not be anywhere around, and that might work. I would encourage you to wait it out just a little longer though, because it just keeps getting easier and eaiser at this point. Pretty soon you will be down to only three or four feedings a day supplimented with food. The more gradual you can transition the better for you and for him. For babies, nursing is more then just food, it also fills their need to be touched and bonded to you.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010