Vouchers for private schooling...

Our school district is pushing forward on vouchers- parents will be able to take approx 4500 and use it towards private schooling. 13 of the 14 private schools in our county are religious based. Previous court rulings have upheld vouchers as long as no religion is excluded- it allows public funds for religious schools. Pell grants and other federal college loans allow students to attend private religious colleges. I am opposed because I think it will be challenged in court and cost our district a ton of money. Do you think mixing religion and politics like this sounds like a recipe for disaster?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 10:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think that all parents should have a right to decide how their children are educated, and that includes choosing the school their child/ren will attend. Since federal law requires children of a certain age to attend school AND recognizes the credits from religious schools if children transfer back and forth I'm not quite certain what the argument is ... unless some people just can't stop themselves from harassing religious people.

As long as 'YOU' aren't required to send 'YOUR' child to a religious school it shouldn't matter if other parents choose differently, nor should they be penalized monetarily for doing so since THEIR tax dollars go toward public schools regardless of their choice.

I also feel that home schooling parents should be allowed to use the vouchers since they ALSO (just like religious schools) have to meet the criteria set by both state and federal gov't.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just because the vouchers are available doesn't mean they are going to force you to use them. It's just another option for parents to have there children in school. And like it said it's not excluding any religion and you even said there's one private school that is non religious.

Now if they were to say you HAD to send your child to catholic school (or any other religious school) and you weren't given a choice then that's wrong. But you don't have to even use them much less send your child to one of the religion based schools.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• BTW...I'm opposed to vouchers.

If YOU want YOUR kid to attend a PRIVATE &/or RELIGIOUS school...YOU need to shuck out the DOLLARINIES!!!

My tax dollars shouldn't help pay for your kids religious education.

How'bout instead we take all that voucher money and INVEST it in our PUBLIC schools?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I understand vouchers, but I am not for them.It is not because of religion though I think the money could be better spent on school improvments.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• cont. ~ I feel that public schools have their priorities all skewed away from good teaching and geared more towards getting more funding. If they know that those vouchers (and the funds they represent) have an equal chance of going to a different school the public schools may well start teaching again instead of teaching for tests or splurging on electronics instead of books, supplies, teacher salaries, etc.

Our childrens' education should matter more than any other priority when it comes to schools. They deserve the best education possible ... but a district that has the most 'toys' isn't necessarily providing the best education. Many of the richest ones provide the lousiest teaching/learning experiences. Part of the reason private/home schooling does so well is that ALL of the resources go towards education ... not board salaries, not toys, not new buildings, etc., and those parents still fund public schools. My 2ยข fwiw.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• "When religion manifests its tenets in government, both democracy and modern science take a back seat to the voice of ancient rigid authority, and progress is halted. The importance of maintaining secular governments cannot be overstated, and we find increasing need to defend rational secularism before faith-based damage become insurmountable." - Paul Kurtz

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree with MamaK and Alanaplus. That money should go toward improving the schools we have, rather than shelling it out to private institutions. The proposal to take that money and offer vouchers to private schools would create even more of a divide between the haves and have-nots. Private school would still be unattainable to those families who, even if $4500/year would help them afford private tuition, which on average costs over $8500/year, they would still have to find a way to manage transportation and meals. It would still be unattainable for most, and would only benefit those who were on the economic borderline. That would mean less money for the already impoverished school systems, who would then be able to provide even less to the students whose families can't, even with vouchers, afford private tuition.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes, I see those points and I am not sure how I feel about the vouchers themselves as I just see it all getting bogged down in lawsuits arguing varying points which will cost our district a ton of money. I guess what I was asking is- do you think the mixing of funds like that will set off a firestorm as farmlady had mentioned where the mere mention of public money going to a religious school will freak people out to where that becomes the only issue. I am asking how people feel about the mixing of public funds for private education......I think the main objection would be religious based as that seems to be peoples hot buttons...
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Soyousay, I think that as long as their are choices ~ both non-religious and religious there shouldn't be a 'religious' issue. All children are required to put in a certain amount of hours/days each year and only schools that meet the educational criteria will give a child the credits they earn. If each district handled it that way and made it clear that all parents choices mattered and that each parent should worry about their own child/ren the issue would become a nonissue.

Its time that those who preach tolerance start showing some, and those who won't should be taught they must. The only other 'fair' option is for the state to no longer expect any school that isn't eligible (and students who attend it) to meet any state/fed criteria. The double standard goes both ways ... but the biggest angst seems to come from public schools losing funding because parents are opting for other schooling. cont. ~
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What are parents - chopped liver?

I trust parents to make choices for their children. In fact, public schooling which denies them that choice has been egregiously un-Constitutional and tyrannical for a long time !

Schools vary widely according to the teachers and staff who run them. I went to 14 different Catholic schools (father was in the Air Force) in 4 different states. In NO school were non-Catholic students pressured about religion. They were openly not Catholic, they were completely accepted by classmates and teachers. The nuns readily exempted them from the tiny bit of religious content in the school week.

Also, with vouchers available, more schools will be able to start up without having to rely on a church group to make ends meet. So you'll likely see non-religious alternatives coming into being.

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010