Is it normal for my 2 year old to still be throwing fits at nap and bed time?

She's 30 months. About 75% of the time she cries and screams when I put her to bed. She has had a regular nap and bedtime for many months and she WAS going to bed at bed time without so much as a peep. What gives? Is there anything I can do to make this easier on her?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes that's normal! LOL

I don't know what your routine or methods are, but WHY is she upset? Does she not want to sleep or is she lonely? Have you considered co-sleeping or staying with her until she is asleep?
    My son will be 3 in January and I hold him until he falls asleep. Sometimes he puts up a fight but if the timing is right, he goes to sleep and then down in his bed. It can be limiting to my night time freedoms, but I'm not exactly "clubbing" at night or anything anyway LOL
    It's such a short period of time that they need us like this, and it's already flown by...I just say don't resist the impulse to nurture your child as they need out of fear of spoiling them or something, because soon enough, they'll be pushing us away...and you can never spoil a child with love.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• yes, that's why its called the terrible two's lol
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• maybe its time to stop putting her down for a nap?? instead of making her have a nap, turn it into a quiet time instead, where she has to ether read, colour, play with dolls etc..but doing this independantly.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Alexis, she really still needs a nap. I have done 'rest time" insted of naptime a few times and she is a screaming mess by 4:00 if I do that, and then bedtime is even worse :(
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes! My daughter is 31 months and until a few weeks ago I never had a problem getting her to take a nap or go to bed. Now she throws a huge fit when I even mention it. My son did the same thing at that age so I'm pretty sure it could be the age. I tried taking away her naptime, but then she would fall asleep a couple hours before bedtime and then she wouldn't go to sleep for me until midnight or so. I've found that making a solid routine helps a little. I usually give her a snack, then a bath, then we read a book and she goes to bed. I've only done it for a week or so, but I've noticed she doesn't fuss as much. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Boom, good advice. But she screams and cries whether I lay with her or not :( I lay down with her and her brother (my 4 month old) every day for nap time and she usually creates such a racket that I can't get the baby to sleep. He starts crying and then she definately can't go to sleep. I've taken to putting a show on for her while I get him to sleep and then praying her cries don't wake him up lol. We also co-sleep with both kids in the bed about 50% of the time, though she does sleep in her own bed the other 50% (the baby always sleeps with us).
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• its normal
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 11:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My 3 year old still throws fits at bed time, not during the day but def at night!!
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• What if you make it seem like a game or a contest. Have a race to see who goes to sleep first, her or your baby? If she goes to sleep first, then you two can do something special later on in the day...make cookies, while the baby takes another nap or something that she will have fun doing with you.
    Keilman1

Answer by Keilman1 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes! My 3 year old throws tantrums almost everytime he needs to take a nap. Try setting a bedtime routine, putting a nightlight in her room, or some soothing music. (The routine thing helped my son at bedtime)
    goodluck!
    Tinkermumma

Answer by Tinkermumma at 12:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2010