At odds

My husband and I have been talking about my mom watching our baby when it is born. He said due to the fact that my mom and stepdad smokes in the home, he dont want them to watch the baby for us. However, I told him that I dont want to pay a daycare when my mom has offered to be our baby sitter. I understand where he is coming from about the smoking, but I honestly can not tell her she cant smoke in her own home. We also cant afford daycare either. What do I do?

ready4baby2011

Asked by ready4baby2011 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have her come to your house and let her know there is no smoking there!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• that is a good idea. thank you
    ready4baby2011

Comment by ready4baby2011 (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yup. Your house.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• NO way I would let her watch the baby at her house. If she is will to come to your house and not smoke that would be the best option if not you need to find someone else period.

MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 11:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Your house and smoke outside. Although, smoke lingers. Tell your husband many daycare workers do smoke on their own time. It is in their clothes, hair, ect...I get he doesn't want the smoke but likely the baby will be exposed to some small degree in a center as well. If your mom can not smoke all day - cool. Or maybe have a smoking apron that smoke does not cling to her actual clothes - to wear it over her clothes on smoke breaks while your child naps.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• thanks for the advice ladies it really helps.
    ready4baby2011

Comment by ready4baby2011 (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Your husband should take on the responsibility of finding the solution. LOL Why don't you talk to your Mom about the health concerns of smoking around the baby. I know it is bad yada yada yada but back in the day women use to smoke in the hospital room after having the baby LOL I have pictures of a family member holding new born with a ciggie hanging out of her mouth - very classy! Maybe mom would volunteer to a comprise - a grandbaby all to herself you would be amazed at what could happen. Good Luck!
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 2:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree with your husband. I would either have her come to your house and not smoke at all while there or find someone else. I was just listening on NPR this morning about different smokeless tobacco (not necessarily dip, but gum) and if going that long without smoking would be hard for your mom, I would recommend a smokeless version for at your house.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sorry, I understand not wanting to pay for daycare when it has been offered for free, but no way in HELL am I putting my child at risk, because its own grandparent doesn't have the respect or care for their own grandchild to not smoke around it. Sorry, but my baby first always!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010