Not enjoying night shift

I find myself a little depressed due to the fact that I work late night shifts and my husband works days. We dont see each other but on the weekends IF I dont have to work. Has anyone else gone through this? If so any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• get over it at lease he's bring in money
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 11:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• yea but money isnt everything. Money cant save a marriage nor can money bring true happiness. Obviously you never had to go through not being able to see your SO.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I go through this now. My SO goes to work at 830pm and gets home at 530am then sleeps until i get off work at about 3 or 4pm. So we have a few hours together if he goes to sleep right after work. But I totally understand. I get lonely at night when he leaves. But hopefully it won't last for too long. We're having a baby boy in Feb. So I guess it will work out for when I go back to work. We won't have to put him in daycare thank god. My advice to you would be to make the most out of your weekends together and maybe try to take a few lunch breaks with him every once in a while if possible. Good luck!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Beauty that was not necessary at all. I haven't gone through that but a similar situation. dh and I were both in the military at one point in our lives. He was at a duty station an hour away from mine we only had one car which was mine. I let him use it to come see me. He would only be able to spend time with me a couple hours a night and only 3 or 4 nights a week. I longed to have more quality time with him. I kinda know what you're going through. I hope things get better for the both of you. I would suggest you have your dh say sweet little things to you when he does see you. Things like I'm happy to see you, its nice to finally see you beautiful. Talk to him about your depression with the whole situation. Maybe you can both come up with a solution with this dilemma. Good luck.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• that's our situation also. He works four 10 hours days mon-thurs plus overtime if we need extra money. I usually work middle day shifts, or last night shifts atleast 5 days a week on any given day of the week. I'll rarely get a morning shift and the place doesn't allow overtime, or I would work it. We actually don't mind it, because up til this pas August I was working graveyard shift since we been living together for 3 years. It wasn't bad for the first two because my boss gave us decent schedules, but when we got new managers I wouldn't have two days off in a row any more and being sleep deprived constantly was slowly eating away at my body phsyically and emotionally. So right now we're kind of grateful that I was able to go back on daylight, and that I can atleast crawl into bed with my dh everynight. I hope it gets better for you, or you can find something that fits your life.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• thank you. at least I know I am not alone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My husband worked grave shifts the last three years. I can't imagine me having a full time job on top of that. The best thing to do is to make time for each other. And even middle of the night counts too. Try a late night movie? Walks? Even just going grocery shopping together at a 24 hour store can help.

Also if you can, put a date for when you think the night shifts will end. You'd be surprised with what you can get through if you know it's only temporary.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• it isnt temporary. I am permanently on nights. I love my job just not the fact that I dont see my hubby
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Same situation here, you just have to get creative. I am also the one who works the overnights. Sometimes it is worth it to go without an hour or three sleep to spend time together. Remember it is quality of time not quantity that makes a relationship work. Make the time you do spend together count. But he has to do his fair share as well. Sometimes I write little notes to hubby that I know he will find while I am sleeping. Sometimes I go several hours without sleeping in order to spend time with him and he does that as well. With the right attitude and some willingness to compromise - it can be done.
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 1:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'm sorry for what you're going through. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I'm assuming you work opposite schedules so that one of you are always home with your Children. Try to make the best of your little time that you do have together. Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 21 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2010