Do you balance your checkbook to the penny?

I have to post anon because I am clearly the biggest idiot on planet earth! I tried balancing my grandma's checkbook for her and she wants it done to the penny. I'm looking at her statement (two accounts) and don't know where to begin. She earns interest each period which throws it off because they show half the interest accrued and then on the next statement, the other half shows up and I don't know what amount has been credited and honestly, I never balance mine and I'm never overdrawn but I'm not a perfectionist. Okay, so, how do I learn to do this? I know, throw a shoe at me, it's that bad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Seriously ladies? Balancing your check book is NOT writing down your transactions. It's where you check what you have against what the bank statement has written in it and seeing if it matches. That being said, you would HAVE TO put in the interest that has accrued in order for it to balance.

OP you can go to the bank and ask them to help you. That is what they are they for. And they won't laugh.
    It is easier to see it done in person. Here's a youtube video that you might find helpful:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KLuuSY2UlQ

Good luck! It's really not hard to do =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes! It drives me crazy if it's not to the penny. But I also used gto work at a bank lol
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Go into the bank and have them get you started.... and DONT be embarrassed they wont laugh at you.

btw... I dont do it to the penny.  I always round up to the closest dollar... nice when all that unaccounted change adds up to surprise dollars!!

Anonymous

• If you don't feel comfortable doing this ask the bank where your Grandmothers account is if they will do it. Sometimes they will. Otherwise you'll need to learn fast. And yes, we have 4 accounts that I balance to the penny every month in addition;I do my parents account and they live 3 hours away from us and I do this over the phone with my mother every month. And I MAKE her balance to the penny.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• no my man does that. he pays for everything for our kids and me
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 11:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• idk how 2 help u i dont do it 2 the penny and i do it as go not just at one time
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No,sure don't.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 11:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i pretty much balance mine by the penny when I get my statement every month...except for the interests. they're usually like around .37 cents a month or something, and I just stopped bothering to put them in the check book every month. we get the interest, they don't take any of it out from our account though.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i do, my husband dosen't that's why we have different accounts (mine never goes negative and his is messed up right now lol)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I balance mine to the penny daily. When I make a debit I write it in.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2010