How do you teach your children to be appreciative, especially at Christmas?

I have an 8 year old who wants everything she sees and gets a good bit even though we are on an extremely tight budget. I worry she doesn't realize how good we have it. Don't get me wrong, she hears "no" quite a bit, but I feel like she gets more than I ever did at her age. I want to teach her to be greatful for her blessings. Does anyone do anything in particular to instill gratitude in their kids?

amyb99

Asked by amyb99 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• When our boys were little we would have them save their allowances during the month of November so we could go shopping at Target for kids who had no toys. Then we would take the toys they picked out along with the ones we bought and would visit the fire station to drop them off, afterwards we would go out for dinner and discuss why we just did what we did. They loved it and looked fwd. to it every year :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I set a timer for 5 minutes per gift. This way they are not rushing through the presents and it also gives them time to say thankyou to the gift giver.
    Also every Christmas we do "Christmas Shoesboxes" and my children help me fill them with presents for children who don't have very much. I think this brings them down to earth, and makes them realize how lucky they really are.
    Tinkermumma

Answer by Tinkermumma at 12:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2010