Boys vs Girls

As much as I think I am a modern woman, I have discovered I do hold some very old fashion beliefs . A group of friends and I were talking about our children and a few mom's got into it pretty hot and heavy about why it is okay for a boy to behave a certain way but not for a girl. Mother's of both sons and daughters do you hold your children to different standards of behavior based on their gender? If I had to answer today I would say yes we do.

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 11:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, that situation is pretty far in the future for me at this point, but personally I wouldn't want my daughters or sons acting like that. But I'm not into the whole teen dating thing either. I think it's a sad double standard that it's ok for boys to date around but not girls, although I don't think it's good for either one.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No I don't. My children are less then 2 years apart in age, so they pretty much do everything together. I want my children to grow up to have individual attitudes. I don't think surpressing behaviour based on gender is appropriate.
    Tinkermumma

Answer by Tinkermumma at 12:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No, at least not purposefully. Sometimes I think my husband is softer on our daughter and lets her get away with stuff, but I'm not sure if that's a boy girl thing, or an age thing. (she is 3, or older son is 5) We also have a baby boy so I guess I'll find out when he's older.
    In what way do you hold your children to different standards?
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Okay Moms don't kill me - but (some/many) of the girls my son comes into contact with seem very aggressive in a boyfriend/girlfriend way. I was volunteering at school and different girls kept approaching me to ask if my son has a girl friend and what kind of girl does he like and do I know if he likes them etc etc. Of course the father thought it was cool! I would ground my daughter if I discovered she was acting like that. Of course my son is oblivious to the whole thing. My mother thinks I should call the "hussy's" mothers - can you imagine that phone call ! LOL

mrsljamieson

Comment by mrsljamieson (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree
    mrsljamieson

Comment by mrsljamieson (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I totally agree with you - I was shocked that I secretly harbor these thoughts - yikes!
    mrsljamieson

Comment by mrsljamieson (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2010