There was an article today in our paper and wanted to see what you think. This really happened!

Anyway, When I looked in the regional paper today, there was an article that one of our Wal-Mart's took their Christmas tree down. A resident local asked the greeter what happened to it. The greeter told the lady that it was taken down because someone came in the store and it was against their religion and talked to the manager and had them take down the Christmas tree. Since when is it a crime to put one up in a store? They do it almost everywhere. What happened to our freedom of religion? Just because one person says it goes against their religion, doesn't mean they have to ruin it for everybody else. I think this takes Christmas to a whole new level. What do you think?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 11:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The Christmas tree isn't even a Christian tradition, it was integrated into Christmas because the pagan masses used evergreen trees in their midwinter rites and it made them easier to convert.

This is assinine. There are things we see every day that go against ALL of our religions. If you don't like it flippin' leave, walmart can do without one dumb customer. He was probably there to buy some vasaline to try to get that needle out of his ass lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• That happened once before, too. The store took them down right after someone had complained, but it was really so they could donate the trees to need families in time for the holidays, and it was just a coincidence that someone had complained.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I feel Walmart was wrong! I respect ALL religions with the exception of one and feel if your unhappy about a christmas tree being displayed in a store, then shop somewhere else!!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They probably donated them to needy families like the other Walmart. But it sure seems Christians need to be angry about something this time of year, so let's blame in on an evil non-believer, lol.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• do you know where this was? could it be that they were in a VERY non-christian area? if walmart gets a complaint it is up to THEM how they choose to handle it. Perhaps in this specific loction they felt it was better to take it down. Im sure if enough people ask for it back up they will change it. But since WE do not know any details other than what YOU have told us then it would be rather religiously ego centric for us to say that Walmart was wrong in what they chose to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• link?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• This story sounds eerily similar to the recent story about an entire community that over-reacted because they thought Walmart took down their Christmas trees due to complaints from non-Christians when in actuality they had donated them early. This story was in your regional paper? Not a forwarded email?
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• that is rediculous that they actually did it. so much for freedom in america
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree with superchicken.

I'm an atheist and just let it be said...I could give a rat's patootie if walmart or any other store has a tree up or a menorah or a kwanza symbol. I don't care!!!!!!
    It's the holidays, I LOVE the holidays regardless of how a store chooses to show their spirit. Some peole have GOT to get a grip.
    Just remember that not ALL 'non" believers wish to eradicate the symbols of christmas. Many of us celebrate with the very same symbols.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• So a friend of a friend of a friend of mine once told me that WalMart used to have Christmas trees and then they gave them to a CULT to SACRIFICE BABIES on them and then EAT THEM! Aren't internet rumors special?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2010