how do i get rid of heartburn?

bethjarju27

Asked by bethjarju27 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The most effective way, even though it's more work, is to keep a food log and see what foods get it going, and reduce or eliminate those foods. Also, eat small, frequent meals, and sit upright for at least 20-30 minutes after eating to allow your food to settle. Acidic foods, like tomatoes and citrus, as well as wine and chocolate are notorious for causing heartburn. Spicy foods, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• For yourself? Tums
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Depends on the degree. Once in a while heartburn is usually helped with something like Tums or Maalox. More frequent heartburn might respond better to a Zantac type of med. More frequent and severe heartburn might need a PPI like Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec. I take a combination of Nexium and generic Zantac, but I also have a hiatal hernia.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• IF your talking about yourself, Tums works great. And as musicpisces said start tracking what your eating because it could be something you eat. I know for me it's if I eat too much chocolate. Surprising enough!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I take zantac. but if its often maybe a doctor can give you something that will work better and help cover with insurance.
    -Q-

Answer by -Q- at 4:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010