My daughter is STILL wetting her bed

My daughter is 14 and weve tried everything to get her to stop peeing the bed, we have made her stop drinking things past 6;00 and have grounded, punished, and even given her 5 dollars for every night she didn't but still nothing is working. We try to let her know it is wrong by talking about it aloud when her friends are spending the night, making her wear a diaper under her clothes for school and letting her know how disgusting she smells. I am tired of smelling that nasty scent of urine. Some adults i have spoken to about this say I am being to harsh on my daughter and that they cannot control it ( as with sleepwwalking/talking) but certainly there has to be a way to force it out of her!

Isjborn

Asked by Isjborn at 12:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you taken her to a doctor..?
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would take her to a doctor to see if there is a physical problem. I would also consider taking her to talk to a counseller (Bed wetting at her age could be the result of psychological stress, abuse, or emotional issues.)

Goodluck!
    Tinkermumma

Answer by Tinkermumma at 12:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• There has to be something else going on here. Is she stressed about anything? OR you need to take her to a physician because it may be that there is something wrong developmentally with her bladder. If I were you I would try to not get mad at her (not that I wouldn't be) but I would try to not get angry at her until you find a reason. Most girls, especially girls her age wouldn't be doing this unless there was something going on physically/emotionally. Good luck to you and your daughter!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• At this age it is most likely something that needs to be diagnosed by the pediatrician. Take her to the dr and talk about your concerns.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My daughter also was a bed wetter punishing her isn't the answer I am sure she feels bad enough about herself without being reminded I know it's hard it was for me too. her father called her a piss ant which did not help at all. I finally sat down with her and told her that I love her and I understand that she can't help wetting the bed but that I was tired of washing her smelly sheets and blankets so from now on she would have to do that. and I put a rubber sheet on her mattress. For a while she kept wetting the bed but i honestly think she got tired of washing her sheets and decided to quit also the fact that she became interested in boys. Hang in there it won't last forever. We took her to a dr and all she could tell us is to be patient and that's what we were. My daughter stopped at the age of 16. Yours will too just be patient. and don't be too hard on her or yourself God bless
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 12:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• punishment is not the answer take her to the doctor they have what my family calls "the potty pill" its not cheep but it is soo worth it
    brezze

Answer by brezze at 12:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Take your daughter to the doctor and explain the situation.

IMO you need to be more compassionate with your daughter. Do you really believe she has control over this?

Making your 14 year old daughter wear a diaper to school, telling her friends she wets the bed and telling her she smells disgusting is emotional abuse.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• OMG are you nuts? You need to get off her back. This is NOT something she can control and why in the world would you embarrass her in front of friends!?!? Kids that age have enough problems without someone embarrassing them.

You need a counselor and she needs a pedi to ck her out and some serious counseling because what you have done to her mentally by trashing what self esteem the girl probably had.

Ill say a prayer for your daughter because i feel so sorry for her. Ive got a special needs child and i cannot ever imagine doing her like that over things beyond her control.

You need to check yourself. You are destroying your daughter.
    I hope like hell you are a troll and some poor child isnt suffering in real life with your ignorance.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Do you honestly think that she wants to wake up soaking wet every morning? Do you think that if she could stop she would? You are being entirely too harsh. Like another poster said, it's emotional abuse and isn't helping. Take her to a urologist as soon as possible. Something is probably wrong with her bladder or urethra.
    vicki77433

Answer by vicki77433 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have a 10 year old still going through this. Yes, the grounded , punished and the diaper under clothes sounds harsh to me. I have taken my daughter to the Dr. tried meds and not drinking after dinner. I even at one time woke her up for about 3 weeks in the middle of the night and she still did it. She is a very heavy sleeper and I asked the Dr. if that could be it and he said yes. He said she will eventually grow out of it. Try talking to the Dr. if you haven't already maybe meds will work for her. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010