How do you feel about Amish children not being required to attend school past the 8th grade?

Should this be legal? Should they receive special pardons, allowing their children to quit school before the age of 16?

If they follow the traditional Amish lifestyle, there may be no need for higher education, but the fact is, some opt to leave the church. Where does that leave them?

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. I'm kind of indifferent, I guess.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• That's interesting, I was watching a little of a documentary last night that focused on some boys who left the group. Luckily there are other former Amish men that take the boys in for a short time while they work on getting their G.E.D. It's a struggle because many of them have very poor math and reading skills.

I admire the Amish but their lifestyle is becoming more difficult and I think children need a good education so they can decide what they want to do when they are adults. The problem is you need qualified teachers, I don't think the Amish are equipped to open their own schools, but I think the children would have a hard time in public schools.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• A friend of mine went to college for a year in Goshen Indiana, she met some x Amish people who were also going to college. I don't think the Amish education system really prevents them from being able to go on with their education if that is what they choose to do. Although they may not be able to remain Amish and do so. I don't know much about Amish people, but I wouldn't be surprised if they learn more in their 8 years than most public school students learn in 12.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• When the amish leave school it is not to veg on the couch or because mommy was to busy to care. They are actually doing hard work and learning more in that work than most learn at school. So yes by all means let them. If it came to it I am sure most of them could pass test outs mandated for homeschoolers.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think if it works for them, then fine but if they child wants more education there should be ways to provide for that.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Religion pardons a lot and because of our freedom of religion, yes I think it should be legal. If a parent wants to keep a kid from their right to an education it's unfortunate, but it's their own business. Won't keep me from keeping my kid in school.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I love living in a nation where ppl can live the way they choose. They don't pay our taxes, they don't benefit from our schools or social programs. I think their way of life is fine. The ones who opt out of that life can get their ged.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What the Amish do for a living is factory work and waiting tables, not just farm work. I'm in the middle of Amish country, and while there are a lot of x-Amish at Goshen College, and every other college in town, it doesn't take them very long to get caught up. Ignoring the issue with the current economy, very few places around here require a HS diploma to work - regular old fashioned HS dropouts are just as common as Amish, and the Amish go to work at 13. The economy of an area is determined by its work force. As long as there is a large Amish workforce there will be (again, economic cycle aside) plenty of work for that skillset. Most kids who drop out don't choose to go back to school with Amish having nothing to do with it.

The kids aren't being grossly disadvantaged unless they decide to quit the church AND move to a large city. If they stay local, they actually have the leg up in the job market based on experience.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If it works for them, it's fine with me. I don't necessarily assume that they are getting less of an education at home, and many brilliant people in the world and in our history were actually self-taught or had most of their education at home and out in the real world. Even it gave them some disadvantages if they chose to leave that community, I'm quite sure they could catch up if they were driven to, and they could be ok in the world even if they're not interested in furthering their formal education. Maybe they could work a job that doesn't require a diploma or degree while they study to get a GED, then they could go to college if they choose.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I do not agree with it....but it is their decision. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think if it works for them, then fine but if they child wants more education there should be ways to provide for that. "

Well, that's the thing. The parents have the final say in it, and sometimes the child's opinion doesn't matter.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010