Would you support/allow your pregnant 16 year old daughter to get married?

I just don't see how a mother could be okay with that..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would be lying if i said I wouldn't be disappointed in the way they handled their relationship i would explain to them how irresponsible they were to have a child so young but I don't think I would let them get married until she was 18 so they would have time to figure out if they really wanted to spend the rest of their lives together. I Believe It would also give the baby's father time to get a job if he didn't already have one and save money to beable to support her and the baby by the time she turns 18 and if he turns out to the type of father who doesn't care about their future she would find that out too before she married him. That's how I would handle it If my daughter got pregnant at 16 and I would help her support her baby until she turns 18 and is old enough to get married or longer if the baby's father doesn't step up to the plate and take responsibility. But to answer the question no not at 16.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 2:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Nowmommyof2, we were all in love at 16. THANK GOD I didn't marry the guy I was "in love" with! Thank God I didn't sleep with him, either!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'm old-fashioned, too, and I also believe marriage before baby is the ideal. However, I don't think two mistakes are better than one, and getting married at 16 in our culture is almost certainly a mistake (although there are exceptions). With the high risk of divorce, why add to the problem.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Ok, 16 is probably more Lust than love but still there is a baby involved I hope one day they will get married and be in love!
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 2:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Nope
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Nope.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• nope
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would agree, having a baby doesn't mean you should all of a sudden get married. Right now it seems like a wonderful thing and their in love but that quickly changes once the baby is here and for young couples they really haven't grasped what love is and are just walking on air with their heads in the clouds. Young people really should know and understand the cause and effect of their actions and take responsibility and again no, getting married is not responsible.
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 1:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My parents let me get married at 16 and I wasn't even pregnant! Biigg mistake! Noone should be getting married at 16 baby or not!!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 3:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It would all depend on the guy she is with. If I believe he is a good guy, and having sex doesn't make anyone a bad person. I might allow it but I would suggest they stay living in one of the parents homes, but they will have there own lives.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010