my dog has arthritis

My dog (boxer mix) is suffering from arthritis. She is my kids childhood dog. They are 17 my dog is 10. She limps around and is obviously in pain. I've spent a lot of money on my dog at least $6,ooo (conservitavely) on vets. She had ACL surgery and therapy that incluced Accupuncture, physical therapy, aqua and therapy and massage about 2 years ago, that really helped. Before then I was carrying her outside to go potty. She's also had surgery since then to remove a cancerous tumor. Now she's limping around again. She get's fish oil, glucocamine and pain killers to help her.

Now i'm facing another massive vets bill to deal with her arthritis. I could afford another 2 grand, but it would mean tightening our belts. I just feel that spending that kind of money on an $80 rescue is throwing good money after bad. On the other hand, she's my kids childhood dog.

I'm so torn. What would you do? Just keep her on pain pills? Put her down? Any one know any good method for arthritic dogs. I feel awful. Help!

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 2:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pets

• Turmeric herb / is very helpful to reduce inflammation -  Low cost ---   ( also, NuVet and NuJoint Plus )  SEE this link-

No harsh drugs --- The VETs don't tell us about using Natural alternatives

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bulldogs-2360/2010/5/American-Bulldog-Knee-Joints.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We spent a ton of money on our dog. 2 ACL surgeries, removing a tumor by her eye, epilepsy, and congestive heart failure. At the end, she was on 18 pills a day, and we were giving her shots of Lasix here at home. We did all we could for her, right up until the end. This is a tough question!! We felt as long as we could keep her comfortable, and she was able to still get some enjoyment out of life, we kept paying. When the vet finally said there was nothing else to do, that's when we had her put down. Almost the hardest thing ever. BUT, we were comfortable with it, because we knew we had done what we could.
    You could try Dasuquin. We used it and it seemed to help with the pain in her legs. We had to get it from the vet. Also add some Omega to her diet.

I am so sorry you are having to make this decision, it's tough! BTW, our dog was a rescue as well. Paid $25 for her!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• The vet should check her out to make sure it truly is arthritis (probably is after having the ACL surgery) and not an actual injury. Typically though those visits are not expensive except for the medication. There are several medications that make a huge differance for dogs with arthiris. I would continue the glucosimine even if you start one of the meds most vets recommend this anyway. If you feel that way about an 80 doller dog you would probably flip over how much I spent on my youngest dog in his first year alone and he was free.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I am telling you as a vet tech and a pet owner, I would put her down. That breed of dog usually has a lifespan of 8 years. You have been blessed with 2 more years. I know it will be hard but I know you don't want her suffer either. Good luck to you and talk to your kids about the situation. My sister and I had to put down our ol dog. she was about 18 years old nd we had her for 16 years. She was older than my sister and full of life!! Arthritis got her too (black lab), It got to the point to where it was hard for her to get up and around. It was the hardest decision we ever had to make, but we loved her so much we didn't want her to suffer. We called the vet and she came over to our house and we buried Kitty Dog under her favorite tree.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What a hard decision to make. I would not have the money for those vet bills so I would have to have her put down. You have limited funds and even if you use them, how long with the relief last? I'd probably keep using the pain pills while getting mentally ready to give her peace.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.
    onethentwins

Comment by onethentwins (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010