does anyone have their inlaw living with them?

My dad in-law is very ill and we were just recently told he likely will not be coming home but going to a home or staying in the hospital.My mom -inlaw can not afford to pay for the place he will be living as well as her own place so she will be moving in with my husband, my two adult children and I. Is there anyone out there who has or is going through this? what kind of advice can you offer me and my family?

boopster1

Asked by boopster1 at 3:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 3:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• yes & I just thank God for it.
    A11

Answer by A11 at 5:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I did will my fil. He is bipolar and they were going to put him in a home. I used to work in a nursing home and know what goes on in a majority of them. So I couldn't let that happen. We enclosed our garage and he stayed about three months. I had become scared of him and so had my kids. So he is in a special home for these kind of things now. I feel bad sending him there. But not as bad as if I hadn't tried. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I feel for you. He will probably go to bed early. Keep a lot of night lights on and have paper towels for spills ready. You are truly a special person for doing this. I am not a religious person by any means, but God bless you. You are really a sweet dil. Not too many dils would be willing to make that sacrifice.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 7:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Have as much separate, personal, space as possible for everyone. Openly discuss the logistics of it all......working out a schedule for the bathroom, if necessary, how meals will be handled, etc. If it is all done openly and with genuine care for everyone it will work out. Continue to have regular open discussions about things. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Ask her what kinds of things she would like\to do. Would she prefer to cook or clean or maybe grocery shop? Not that you will be taking advantage of her, but it will be important to her to feel like she is contributing something. Play it up to her, like you are looking at this as a great thing, because you can help each other. Be appreciative, even if she doesn't do things the way you do them. She has been living under her rules for years, it will surely be a major adjustment for her as well as you. Not only that, but her husband is very ill. She will be dealing with that loss as well. It can't be easy. What a wonderful thing you are doing for the woman who raised her son to be the man you fell in love with. Good luck!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2010