My kid said dirty words!

I heard my kid said dirty words yesterday!oh my god! He's just 4 years old. I don't know where he learned it. Maybe he doesn't know those words' meaning, but i don't know how to deal with it!

Ariel.Y

Asked by Ariel.Y at 3:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you hear him say it... you just tell him it's a bad word and we don't say it... that's what I did with my kids.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Just tell him the words not to say. Does he hear them from grownups he's around?
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am sure he doesn't know what those words mean. More than likely he heard them from someone or somewhere and he is just repeating them. You could talk with him and let him know that those words are not approperiate for him to be saying. Don't get angry with him or yell because that might cause him to use the words more. Remember he is a child and more then likely doesn't understand what he is saying.

Good luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You can try this little trick.....when he says it or another word that you don't approve of , write it on a piece of paper and explain that those are garbage words and have him throw it away. Explain that words like that are trash and that is where they belong and that we don't take things out of the trash and put them in our mouths either. I always told my kids if you hear a word and you don't know what it means don't say it and come and ask dad or me first. It worked pretty well. I used this technique when I was teaching pre k too. Remember they don't really know what they are saying so don't get shocked.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have to say that although it is not proper and very bad for kids to say bad words, i thought the very first time i herd mine say a bad word it was funny and it took all i had not to laugh.

With my little one when he says something he shouldn't, i stop him and make him look at me, I repeat the word to him and tell him that it is a very bad word and little kids can not use that word, only adults. He usually tells me he will say it when he gets older then and not say it again until then. It's funny cuz he's in the routine now where he will come over to me and say a word and say "is it okay to say that word or is it a bad word mom?" it's funny when he comes to me and says things that he picks up off of songs or tv shows... like the one time he says mom can i say... "where's my old lady at?" lol
    Tiftigger1

Answer by Tiftigger1 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2010