How can I tell if my Guppy is pregnant?

emturner

Asked by emturner at 9:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pets

• You can usually see the babies in a guppy. They will be very round to say the least.

Get a lot of live plants or a breeder tank and the babies will survive next time. They need a ton of hiding places.
    I've kept fish for over 20 years, so let me know if you have any questions.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• guppy as in a fish?

fish lay eggs that need fertilized by a male fish...

they don't get "pregnant"
    Anonymous

• LOL I was about to say that... Yeah fish do not get pregnant. You will know if she is about to lay eggs though. her belly will get really big.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Guppy's have live fish babies.. They are one of the very few that don't lay eggs...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• LMAO, what a refreshing post to read after hanging out in the politics section .... I have no idea . Do you have a male and female? Maybe look and see if she is loped sided or take her to the pet store, they can tell you.

Anonymous

• No, guppies do NOT lay eggs. They give birth to live babies!!!! They are called "livebearers." If you have a male and female guppy, odds are she'll end up pregnant. :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• They told me that they game me 2 females...But I can't tell if she has had the babies alreay and the other fish ate them or if she is still preggo.. They said as long as the baby fish have a place to hind they will be fine..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• WOW you learn something everyday. I googled it. And I found out they stay pregnant for 28 days
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I always figure out when I see little teeny tiny fishies in the bottom of my tropicals tank! lol
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• http://askville.amazon.com/guppy-pregnant/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5142371
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2008