How much does the average can of formula cost? How often does a person need to buy baby formula?

approx

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it costs between $10 and 40 a can. how much you buy depends on what size cans you buy, how much you buy at one time, and how much baby is eating. A small can makes about 32 fl oz.. that would equal 8-4oz bottle or 4- 80z bottles. so one small can usually only lasts a day or two. newborns eat 2-3 oz every 4 hours . the older the baby the more they will eat.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 5:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• it depends on the brand and size of the can i pay almost $14 at target fr their soy formula. and i like to buy at least two can at a time.
    jfrancis91680

Answer by jfrancis91680 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I used to buy the big cans at Costco and 1 can would last me about 5 to 6 days. If I remember right I paid about $27.99 for 2 large cans.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• average cost for the kind i use is $13-25 per can. depending on the size. my youngest goes thru about 8 cans a month, however we have wic so she gets 8 cans a month, sometimes she goes a little over and i have to buy a can or two til the next set of checks start for the following month. if you are worried about the cost of formula, you may qualify for wic too. the income guidelines are actually pretty high, a lot of people who don't think they will qualify, infact do.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I was on WIC when I had my daughter and she would get 8 cans a month as well. Sometimes she went over so we always had a back up can. With my son we did not qualify for WIC in the state of TX so we bought all of ours and that boy was a very hearty eater!! I would usually pick up 5 cans each pay check to be on the safe side (we get paid twice a month). We were probably spending around $150 a month or more on it. Then we moved to KS and thank goodness got approved for WIC again, but he was only on it for about 4 months after that lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i get wic my daughter gets 8 cans but i have to end up buying more , they give her the smaller cans which are 12.97, well when i have 2 buy more i get the bigger can , it is double the small cans and cost 19.97, so if i bought 2 small cans it would be like 26 dollars and i end up buyig atleast 2 big cans before we can get her next ones frm wic
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If you have to formula feed, and even it not its a big help to get WIC. My son is almost three months and eats about 9 cans a month, or that's what WIC gives us anyways. The Similac my son is on is the soy and costs about 14 dollars a can. For a bit the dr. though he might need the specialty purple can, luckily he didn't, that stuff is 25 dollars a can.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 10:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It depends on where you buy it and what brand you go with, also what type of formula your baby has, their's liquid or powder. I will tell you the best formula I was happy with was the Target Brand for 14.00 for a average size can, It's called UP and UP brand. It's wonderful!

As far as how much you will go through, for a baby they go through on average about 1 can a week.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• By the way... no matter what you spend, baby's going to make the final decision... a bargain can is no bargain if baby won't take it. Get samples first.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• The formula that we use for our dd's cereal (she's breastfed, only gets formula in her cereal) costs 35 dollars for a 14oz can. It's hypoallergenic and secifically designed for babies that have difficulty gaining weight or have FTT or digestive issues. The regular Similac here is 12-15 dollars for the same size can.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2010