Dog Appeasing Pheromone?

I have a 5 month old golden cocker spaniel who is from a rescue centre but is thought to be originally from a puppy farm. He has separation anxiety. We have been working hard with him for the past month, closing doors behind us, leaving him for short, gradually getting longer periods of time but with little success/change in his behaviour. Our puppy trainer reccomended we try DAP as it worked with her youngest dog who had the same problems as our Toby.

SO just curious if anyone has used it? I've reserved a diffuser at the vets but due to the price i would like to know if anyone has been helped by it, and what product they bought?

Thanks in advance.

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 4:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pets

• I have not personally used it, but know several people who have. For your application, you should get the plug-in (if he stays in that room) or a collar (if not). They also make a spray, but that is short-lived and best for things like getting into the car or a crate, etc ... I am glad to hear you are working with a trainer, but don't forget your veterinarian. If he/she is not really up on behavioral stuff, try to see if there is a boarded behavioral vet near you. Their website has a finder: http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/    

This is also a handy site: http://www.ddfl.org/tips.htm

Good luck, be patient and good for you for helping this pup!

JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• dogs with anxiety do well on a herb called Valerian;  This is the only thing that my clients have had great luck with. 

you would need to give the time-release tablet each day - SEE here:  Hope this helps

would like you to try some Valerian for your Golden's anxiety.
    see here: very helpful and SAFE...
    Dog anxiety - natural options-
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/7/dog-anxiety-con...

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We used it for our cat. It is expensive and I don't think it worked all that well
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am in England so cant use that site to find a vet! We have a vet but her and the puppy trainer have both said that he is too young for a behaviourist, we need to exhaust all other avenues first. We think he was probably seperated from his mother too young given his background. We also know another vet who is also a behaviourist and she is linked to the practice we take our pets too, so if needed she can help.

I've got the diffuser...hope it works.
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• we sell those at wrok but not many people buy them. i don't know of the dap working... but they have come out with an axiety medication that has worked wonders for lots of people. they only take it for a 6-8 week course so its not long term. but it might be a helpful tool along with the training. but i'm not sure if you can get it in england. ask your vet its called anxitane
    raylc

Answer by raylc at 10:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010