What can I get my grandmother for Christmas?

This last august, my grandfather's husband passed away from Alzheimer's. They were married for 61 wonderful years, had 4 beautiful children, and 4 grandchildren. The year before he passed, my grandmother did all she could to make him comfortable. She woke him, washed him, fed him, cleaned him, treated him like a mother would a child. He passed away less than a month after I married my husband, and wasn't even able to attend the ceremony. I want to do something special for my grandmother for christmas. Every time I hear the song "Merry Christmas, Darling", I think about their love...but I'm not sure if I should have a gift that would show their continuous love...or if I should get a nice gift for her. What would be the best christmas gift to work around? She is a very homely woman, and doesn't leave her home very often, and loves the simplicity that life brings her.

cthies

Asked by cthies at 4:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• Can you make her something handmade? If not, might I suggest looking for gift ideas on Etsy.com and Artfire.com? A handmade gift is just so much more than a gift. It is a story. I think handmade gifts are the best ever to give and to receive. Good luck finding a gift for your grandmother!
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 4:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think I am going to give my grandma toys for her cat. Grandmas are the hardest to buy for.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am getting my husbands grandmother a necklace with a birthstone of each grandchild. Just thought I would throw that idea out there.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Try to zero in on thngs she really loves. Her favorite cologne, favorite cookies, flowers, etc. Most times grandmas have all the material things they need already and apprecite things that they use. I agree that a visit might be enough.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Anything warm and snuggly--a pretty sweater, robe, slippers, an afghan, or one of those Snuggies. As we get older, our body temp seems to drop, and without your granddad to keep her warm, she will need something extra!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• How about a nice framed photo of her great-grandchildren?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010