with all this religious hoopla going on here on cm lately, figure ill add a question of my own

my sil claims to be atheist. her grandpa died recently, and she refuses to tell her 3 year old daughter that the angels came and took him to heaven, instead she told her he was very sick (cancer) , died and is never coming back. ok, fine. i understand her not wanting to fill her daughter's head with stuff she doesn't believe in, and wanting to try and lead her down the same path.

however, when it comes to Christmas, she's all for it (well the getting part, not the giving) but that's what confuses me. everyone in my family and dh's family celebrates Christmas as the birth of Christ. i realize some people claim it's a holiday ripped off by Pagan traditions. even then, Pagans believe in a higher power, and she can't use that excuse, i highly doubt she has ever even heard of paganism.

and her daughter's not an excuse either, sil is a heartless bitch who gave up custody of her daughter so the fact that she celebrates it and lets her daughter celebrate has nothing to do with Christ or any of the traditions of Christian Christmas. it's probably just a purely selfish act for her to get stuff.

can anyone explain to me why some people who claim they don't believe in God, a God, or any specific higher power, would celebrate Christmas?

and btw, im truly not trying to offend atheists in any way, shape, or form. just trying to understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i personaly feel that anyone wants something bad enough theyll do anything to get it so with that said if it takes "playing" along with Christmas to get stuff for her and her daughter she'll do it to any cost i know people who do the same thing and its a shame.
    IWantABabySoon

Answer by IWantABabySoon at 7:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Translation: you hate your sister in law and like to find fault in everything she does
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You can celebrate Xmas from the Santa aspect of it, quite nicely and still have awesome family holiday memories without Jesus or the Bible ever making an appearance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am an atheist. I celebrate christmas, the holiays and everything in between. I celebrate christmas b/c it's part of our family tradition of showing those around us how we love them. We celebrate by getting together and laughing and sharing and getting joy out of the faces of the people we've made smile by the gifts we bought for them.
    I'm not sure why other people would have a problem with how I choose to celebrate the holidays. I could care less what you celebrate. Thats your perogative.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I posted a question regarding this topic a few weeks ago, its in my answers profile...

By the way, we don't celebrate it as a christian holiday, or a pagan holiday. It is acknowledged in our home that more than one religion lay claim to it, and we discuss why. Rightfully, the 25th day of December signifies the rebirth of the sun god.... But judging by your arrogantly hostile approach of the topic, you wouldn't accept the truth if it bit your nose off.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• A lot of people celebrate Christmas as a 'cultural' holiday. It's become so pervasive in terms of pop culture, retail, etc. that it's hard to escape Christmas. Even some people who profess Christianity don't celebrate it in a particularly religious way... when I was growing up, Christmas was about the family getting together, giving, enjoying food together, etc. Even though my parents were ticking 'Christian' off on their census forms, it was not a religious focus in our house. You may have celebrated differently and that's great... really, do any of us have the right to criticize how anyone else views the holidays?

You sound very angry at your SIL... I don't think the hows and whys of how she celebrates Christmas are really the heart of your issue with her anyhow.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• "this is asked every year.
    They don't like being left out, they feel abandoned, they are jealous, they are materialistic and want gifts, you name it anywhere along those lines and there is your answer.
    No gifts from me for any Atheist at Christmas whether it be family member or co worker. If you want to be an Atheist be one on Christmas day too. "

WOW....are you a christian? THIS is what Jesus and christmas is about to you?!! I'm glad I don't celebrate it your way. You sound awfully bitter and angry and just down right rude. And ya know what, I'd give a gift to anyone that I cared about. Regardless of their personal beliefs. I see you have the "it's OUR way or the highway" attitude. Yea, your soooo loving and "Christ-like".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I consider myself agnostic personally. I dont discount the possibility of there being a God or a higher power, but I need more proof, and I celebrate christmas, not as the birth of Christ, but basically for the santa aspect..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I celebrate the birth of Jesus at Christmas, but I understand why atheists still celebrate if they don't believe. No one owns the day, and Christmas is also about getting together with family and friends. It's fun, there are great Christmas carols, elves, pretty decorations and lights. Everyone can have fun on Christmas but it's up to each family to decide what they focus on.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It is a leftover remnant of my family's Christian heritage and since we like it, we continue to celebrate it in our own secular way.  The festivities also break up the long, cold winter by providing us with something to anticipate and celebrate.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2010