My son just turned 1 year old two days ago. I'm considering wether i should switch him to goats milk or cow's milk. Regardless of which milk i decide on, I'm trying to figure out how to make the transition safe on his belly from formula to regualr milk. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Goats is easier to digest, and is closer to the human milk composition of fat/protein. As for transition? I have no clue, my babies were boobie babies.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What I did when I transitioned my kids was slowly add more regular milk and less formula. So I would put in 3/4 formula and a 1/4 milk then I would do that for a day or 2 and then I would do 1/2 and 1/2 then 3/4 regular milk to 1/4 firmula then I would be there within a few days.Finally you are there. GL
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• formula not firmula sorry
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i honestly never considered any of this with my kids. It just never occurred to me (or my parents). Does it matter? Not a snark, just curious.

My kids grew up fine on formula
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My understanding was that traditional formula is cow's-milk based. If that's the case, then they're already used to digesting cow's milk. But I'm with Zoeyis on this - it never occurred to me either. I just switched.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Hi Dr. Donna, my son is currently drinking earth's best which is cow's milk and soy based. But what i should have stated in my question is that my son has had a delicate belly, and at 6 months he had an intesisseption. So i am try to be as gentle to his belly as possible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would start slowly... give him just a little bit of milk and see how his body takes it... my son was on formula, and he had a reaction to just straight milk even though I gave him only a little... I am not sure why, but he did. He got a rash around his mouth, and in his diaper... I had to switch him to soy milk for a little while there, but was able to give him cow's milk after he got a little older, and I originally tried giving him cow's milk when he turned a year because the doctor wanted me to.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would lean more towards goat's milk .... definately easier to digest, especially if he's had issues in the past! It's so expensive though:(
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 12:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2010