Why do schools do this?

Have a meeting after suspension is over to prove or promise they can be trusted back into school?

The kid has Autism. He can't make any promises about his unpredictable behavior and I can't promise anything. I'm not even there. To top it off this is a Special Ed program, they should know better.

Why not just let the kid resume school without the meeting? Of course we're just gonna say "Yes, we'll do our best". What a waste of time (in that regard)

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in

• It is tough enough for a kid without autism to keep themselves "in check" at this age! Seems the school or the teacher should be more than aware of the chemical changes of puberty and that this can and often does affect behaviors and impulses especially in kids with autism or adhd or other developmental concerns. Sometimes feels like trying to rein in a tornado! You are so right on the money about saying you will TRY because there are no guarantees! You know your child best and don't let them bully you! His IEP or other plan should state both his academic and behavioral goals, make sure THEY are following it accurately. I know this hard on you but you are the best advocate for him and it is going to take a lot of strength and courage on your part! Hang in there!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Autism has a broad spectrum and many are able to learn to take responsibility for their actions. It is essential that expectations be explained so that they have the opportunity to live up to these expectations. You as a parent should be doing this regularly.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Does he have a behavior plan in place with his IEP?
    What the heck could an autistic child do for them to suspend him???
    How old is he?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• That is such a hard situation to be in. You would thinkt he school would understand that he needs extra help and try to work with him instead of punishing him in a way that doesn't work. If you have an IEP I would get an advocate to see if they can help. If you don't have an IEP then I would look into setting one up for him.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would def check about a behavioral plan.
    My daughter has had one since 3rd grade I think and i thought those were a given with these kids.
    Suspending them does nothing, 98% of the time they have no clue and they just melt down over being overwhelmed.
    Does he have a safe place established where he can go and just "veg" when he feels like he is overwhelmed? Is he able to know when he is overwhelmed?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It depends on your chld's level of functionig. Schools can still suspend kids that are in a special needs program. It depends on what is in the IEP and what the level of functioning is. The meeting should be BEFORE the child is suspended not after. These are questions you should be asking the school administration. Ask for a meeting with the IEP team for your child and discuss this with them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I could see a meeting of sorts before coming back to school, but a promise? What good is that? The most value, IMO, would be coming up with mutually acceptable plan so that it doesn't happen in the future.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Oh, forgot to add that my answer stands whether the child has Autism or not.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• He's in Jr High, and suspending does NOTHING for him, but it does make me have more work to do.

He does have behavior issues and has trouble controlling his reactions to things and people. He's not even aware he does the things or remember them all the time. So in his case, he can't really promise anything. In his case, I just feel its a wasted energy. Just let him resume school and see how it goes.

His behavior is eratic. He could just as easily make this promise to try and go off again before the day is through.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yep, he goes to the basement and cools off
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2010