Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A "tutoring Learning Center" is trying to charge me for tutoring hours I did not contract for my son, what to do?

My 16 y/o son went to one of those "Tutoring Learning Centers". He was tested and advised he needed approx 230 hours at about $45/hour. You have to pay "upfront", so me and his dad financed the fee through the center. I dropped him off and picked him up 3 times a week. About 2 1/2 months ago I got a letter in the mail from the new director stating I owed them approx $1500. for hours my son went over, he was up to 260 hours!! They NEVER TOLD ME when he completed his contracted hours, and just let me keep bringing him in and racking up MORE HOURS. I immediately stopped bringing my son and called the director. I told him I WAS NOT going to pay for these "uncontracted" extra hours, the center NEVER told me he completed his 230 tutoring hours, and it was an error on their part, so I WAS NOT RESPONSIBLE for the extra hours. I thought that was the end of that until....A week ago I get another letter saying they are sueing me for the money. I CANNOT afford a lawyer, any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by LRiegel at 12:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • They very well might win. Yes, they should have told you when the hours were up, but it may be your obligation to have known how many hours your son was up to (depends what is in the contract). Your continuing to bring him after the hours were up may appear as if you consented to the extra hours.

    Suggestions: Maybe do a web search and see if there are other people out there who have had the same type of problem with the place. You may find advice or suggestions there. Or take your chances and go to court, or just save yourself the trouble and pay it up.

    Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

  • Write a letter saying that you paid upfront for all of the tutoring you agreed to & say no more. They will often drop it if they are trying to charge you for more than you agreed to. If they don't drop it I wouldn't let it go to court because your son did in fact recieve the services. If you submit your letter & they still pursue you might have to make payment arrangements.

    Answer by nysa00 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.