i just found out today that the sw is going to termanate parents rights after she the bio mother just messed up a 2 mo trial after just 3 weeks .how long will it take to get the tpr into court? and then start the adoption . we are in the prosess of adopting his half brother who is my bio grand son .do you think this might speed things up?

mom3898

Asked by mom3898 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Adoption

• It is all a case by case thing. I don't think there is a set time frame for any of that to happen. SW...does that mean social worker? There's alot invoved in terminating parents' rights, and it's just not up to the social worker. They can request TPR, but if the judge feels the Bmom should have more time, or another chance, then there will be no TPR at the first court hearing. It took about 3 months after our TPR to get the adoption finalized. I don't think it will speed anything with your other adoption. These things are done individually for each child and for each case unless they are a sibling group and the parents' right were terminated at the same time.
    Anonymous

• I know in Michigan we went through the same thing. The first time we had my neice for 10 months. She went back to her parents for 7 months and she was removed again. They said if the child is out of the home a total of 15 months they can leaguealy termnate parental rights. We are in the process of adopting her now.
    mcgovernm

Answer by mcgovernm at 2:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008