4 month old acting strange at night

for a few days now my son has been waking up every 1 /12 to 2 hrs. at night whining rubbing his face and the only thing that gets him to stop is when he put his blanket to his mouth like he is sucking or if he is in bed with me he puts his face really close or into the side of my pillow. has anyone had this go on. i don't put pillows in his crib so i don't know why he does this.

jfrancis91680

Asked by jfrancis91680 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a comfort thing, my son is in his crib but he grabs his blanket and sucks on it too. I wouldn't worry to much. If you feel it might be a concern talk to your Pediatrician!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Maybe it's his sucking reflex? I know you don't say he's putting anything into his mouth but since he puts things up to his mouth maybe he just wants some sensation at his mouth, not necessarily sucking. Try giving him a paci or teach him to play with his own hand? I know pacifiers can be very unpopular with moms, but they're really only a problem when kids are still using them when they're walking. Both my kids were given pacifiers at the hospital and they were very soothing for them. And both kids quit using them on their own within a few months.

DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 12:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010