Our hamster may be sick! (swollen belly)?

We've had our family hamster for about a year and a half now and last night we noticed his abdomen very swollen. He is kept in my step-son's room so I don't see him every day but I know this came on very rapidly. He is very swollen evenly on both of his sides. It's actually more like his hip area about the size of golf balls on each side. He can't even fit on his wheel anymore nor can he climb. He is eating but just can't get around that good. If you look at him from a distance you can see under his fur there is even a purplish hue to his skin underneath. Does anyone have any experience in this? I don't know what to do for him.

jen282

Asked by jen282 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pets

• tumor perhaps? Hamsters only live a few years anyway. It probably his time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yeah, probably. :( That won't make it any easier for the kids. I just hope he's not in pain.
    jen282

Comment by jen282 (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Take him to the vet.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it may be your little buddy's time to go. Everything I have read says the same thing you have described and the hamsters pass anywhere from 2 to 5 days. I am so sorry and hope that I am wrong.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It could very well be a tumor. We adopted a classroom pet hamster and he developed one. We ended up having him put down, and only a few months after we took him in. Sorry about yours. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They don't live very long - get ready for a hamster funeral.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I had a 4 year old guinea pig who went through this. It ended up being a tumor and when I could tell she was suffering I actually spent almost $100 to have her put to sleep. Good luck, I know it wont be easy on the kids. Sometimes if you have a little funeral for it and talk about all the good times they had with their pet it helps a little.
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2010