Suggestions to get 9 month old to sleep thru the night.

9 month old Dd has been waking up. A lot! She tahrs 2 30-45 minute naps during the day. She goes to bed around 8:30 and is awake around 3 am for 1-3 hours!! I have tried letting her cry for a little while (she starts howling an ear shattering scream). I feed her, nurse her, change her diaper... Everything.

She does still sleep in our room, but I am afraid that if I move her into our 3 year old sons room I will have 2 kids up all night. Please. Any advice on how to help Dd sleep thru the night is appreciated.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 8:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes there is really nothing you can do but ride it out and wait. When you get up and feed her, keep the light off, don't make too much eye contact, just feed her and put her back in the crib. The more you interact with them, the more they think it's play time and normal to be up.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Im having the same problem, which I feed her and change her and she falls back asleep USUALLY not all the time, but its so frustrating that she is still waking up through the night at this age, Its a definite switch from my DS who slept through the night from like 3 months on!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well, nightwaking is 100% normal and to be expected at this age... but waking and wanting to play, while normal, can be a problem.

You just really have to ride it out. Keep encouraging her to go back to sleep. Keep things dark and uninteresting. I would personally keep switching sides until my boys just conked out. So, nurse on one side and when he lost interest in that, roll us both to the other side and nurse on that one till he lost interest and just keep switching. Eventually, they give up and just go to sleep.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• There's a system (and books you can buy) that teach you and the baby how to get through it. The basic idea is that on the first night of trying the method you put the baby down (clean and fed). When baby cries, go in and soothe by speaking in a low, calm, reassuring voice; rub baby's back and tell her things that reassure her that you are near and she is safe. She doesn't understand the words as much as the tone and implied meaning. Don't pick her up or turn on the lights. Stay a few minutes (no more than 5) and leave the room.

Every time she cries, you wait a little longer before going into the room. Repeat your same behavior (dark, rub back, soothing voice, etc) each time you go in. As you come in less frequently baby will learn that 1) it is sleep time, not play time, and 1) you are just outside the door and she is safe and can go to sleep peacefully. It should take about 3 days or so.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 12:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Just keep it dark, business like and boring. She'll sleep longer when she's ready, but you can at least me the pit stops faster

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010