Would you get rid of your dogs if your husband wanted to and it was affecting your marriage?

He did agree to get them in the past.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pets

• yes. my husband is more important than a pet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Nope. My pets are my family too.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would look at the reasons he wants to get rid of them. Are they couped up all day anyway? Do they make a mess? Are they friendly? It would have to be a damn good reason for me to consider abandoning a pet.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Nope..I wouldn't even marry anyone who doesn't love animals as much as me...I'm a huge pet lover..so to me..anyman who loves children, pets, and has a good sense of humor--is key to happiness.

Ask him the same thing---if you didn't like HIS pet or "child", would he do that for YOU..(I bet not too).
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would get rid of the husband...lol
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It depends on how long I've had the dog. If I consider the pet a part of the family and/or have had them many years I would tell him "No, he's staying." However, if we just got the pet weeks or a few months ago then I would consider getting rid of the pet for him. However, if he's allowing to damage or ruin the marriage over a pet then I would suspect it's something deeper then that. A pet in the home shouldn't have any effect on the marriage itself. The marriage should never factor into the pet.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Which is more important to you - the dog or your husband? For me it would be my husband, but everyone has to make their own choices.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My world revolves around my dogs, they are my life, hobby and business. It would take wild horses for me to give up my pets. But your relationship should take priority and since you share your home with your husband you do need to take his concerns into consideration. As long as it is not a major health risk issue, or a major financial problem, you two should be able to compromise and keep the dogs.

By compromising, it means you will keep your dogs, and have a happier relationship. However, it also means some changes are to be made, and possibly more work on your part whether it is management, like more supervision/confinement, taking them out more frequently, exercising them more often or more work with training and manners, or even more house work like more frequent vacuuming. You may need to make some changes, but it should be worth it to keep the dogs and have a peaceful relationship with your husband.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We had a dog who was affecting our marriage that I had originally brought into the home. My husband loved it. I hated it. I tried to discuss getting rid of it with him but he wouldn't agree. So while he was visiting his dad one weekend I gave the damn thing away. No dog is going to make me miserable in my own home and if my spouse doesn't care that I'm miserable, then I don't care if he loves the friggin' dog. Make sense?
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• By the way...I will add..maybe you can find a "common ground"..by trying to train the dogs more better with their behavior if it bothers him..trust me..I've lived around kennels and have owned over 8 dogs...and they are MUCH easier to handle then kids!! LOL

Now..IF your dogs ARE well behaved, then it seems that he may just be "jealous" of your attention to them...and that's not good..some men who are abusive take it out on the innocent animals (which is a huge red-flag--cause my sister--that's what happened to her)..he hit the cat because he had a temper and was jealous that she was giving more attention to her cat..:(

So personally..if ANY man makes you choose between you kids or your pets, or family members..then he does not love you enough to begin with...

If he had a car that he LOVED and was his fav "toy"..if you asked him to give it up (even if it wasn't because of financial reasons), then he would probably feel same
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2010