Is it a bad idea to give my 14 month old splenda? Its in the maple syrup I use in which I give a sprinkle of it

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 9:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no. Just limit the amount of any sweetener you give him/her be it sugar or any other type

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• YES! Kkids cannot and should not get artificial sweeteners! Try truvia.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Artificial sweetener isn't good for anyone, especially a toddler.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes - not necessarily because the artificial sweetener itself will hurt him, but it will get him used to that sweet taste. My 2 year old still thinks fruit juice is a treat because it's the sweetest thing he ever gets! Why ruin those little taste buds?!

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• syrup should be plenty sweet on its own, dont introduce additives where they are not needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• oh god I feel so bad uhh! I guess Ill get just regular syrup..... I think I need a book to help me make better choices , I give apple juice but watered down
    sissaymay

Comment by sissaymay (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• There is a maple syrup with artificial sweetener in it? Isn't maple syrup "natural". Anyways, glad you now know. Plus IMO giving unneccessary sugar isn't needed anyways, then they won't get a "taste" for it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Try Agave nectar instead of syrup... it still has the sweetness, but isn't an artificial sweetener.... also I use Truvia because it is made directly from the leaf of the stevia plant... they both are all natural, and if I were you, I wouldn't give him splenda, or yourself either, I have heard that it has had terrible side effects long term.... I used to use it myself till I heard that, and so I did a little research and found these, and I love them!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010