It's going to grow the economy?

There is nothing new in this compromise deal. There is nothing here that will change what's been going on for the past 2 yrs. Why is the President and the Democrats saying it will grow the economy? Do you think it will? Why?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It will ease the tensions of the American consumer, businesses and Wallstreet of facing the biggest tax increase in history.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Maybe, but I just don't see people being so gullible. Businesses are not stupid and they know this is going to be rehashed in 2 yrs. There is nothing here to give confidence. Maybe after a wait and see period. It's certainly not easing my concerns. I also know this is not a now or never proposition. The country will not implode if this is not extended before January. It's just more fear mongering. No matter when it's done it will be done and it will be retroactive.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i am against the deal all together, but there is something new in the deal.  When they are aying it will help the economy, they are talking about the payroll ss tax cut.  This is new, it is going to put more money into the peoples pocket, and they are going to spend it.  I am against the whole thing.  The tax cuts for the rich is just a giveaway, that part is the same as always, and isn't going to help,just like it hasn't for the last decade.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Businesses are not stupid and they know this is going to be rehashed in 2 yrs. There is nothing here to give confidence

This is just a silly talking point.  What you are saying is the bill made the tax cuts permanent, that all of a sudden they would say oh now we can hire, my mind is at ease.  That is bull, as long as they can make record profits by not hiring, that is what they will continue to do. 

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Some say it will. Some actually believe it will bring an UE rate of 7% at general election time. Who knows. I would have never agreed to extending jobless benefits. 99 weeks was already TOO LONG
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Small businesses are not going to hire. Period. Hiring is at a freeze. I have tried again and again to get a job and no one wants a student. Talk about unfair! One day I will find a great company to work for, probably after I graduate. In the meantime let's see how I can feed and keep my family warm.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Ummm Like they spent the "Making work pay" tax cut? This will take place of that since it disappears In Jan. Sure they will get a few bucks more than they were getting but most of it will go to pay bills and that's not going to grow anything
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

•  There is nothing here that will change what's been going on for the past 2 yrs.

What's going to change whats been going on the last 10 years?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• GOP pressed the tax deal with the idea that it would stimulate the economy, yet it's known that the rich hoard their money. Heck even the middle class will if they're able. Saving is smarter right now than spending.... As far as businesses, they have no interest in changing what's been working for them for the past 2 years. Every employee doing the work of 2 people, no reason to hire another body. The tax deal will not help, everyone including the Pres and the GOP are clearly not seeing the forest for the trees, just a temporary appeasment for those in power. The people will continue to suffer...

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• IMO, small business did not fair well in this lasted round-I can not see them hiring more people-nothing has changed for this group and we all know there was little job growth in the last 3 years. A TEMPORARY tax cut just adds more gas to the fire because the subject will need to be revisited at some point down the line. Bernanke made it pretty clear our current "job" crisis is likely to be the norm for the next 5-6 years...we have likely just placed many folks farther down the hole. The EU was the tit for tat. IMO, a deal made in order to secure those BTCs for those making over a million. Politics as usual-let's see how it will change next month.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2010