Cussing in front of children.....

If you don't cuss in front of your children, what do you do when others cuss in front of them?

If you do cuss in front of your children, do you cuss in front of others' children also?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 9:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I hardly ever cuss ... but my husbands familycuss like sailors lol...

My father in law thinks its funny to get my kids to say things like ass and shit.... and I admit sometimes it is...... instead of having a long argument or silly talk with my 70 year old father in law who is very set in his ways... I just explain to my kids that they dont do it in public ( the same with picking there nose) and that seems to work pretty good ...

also I ahve to admit... they know not to say the F word around them though - I hate that word and i think that is the worst one... they know this and i dont have to worry about it, becuase we told them before, if the kids start saying it we wont be back until they stop
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 12:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am a cusser, but I try my best not to do it front of my children, as I don't want them repeating it. Very rarely does anyone else ever do it either, so correcting someone else is not anything I've had to deal with. One time, we were in a pizza place and there was a group of late teen/early 20's people at the table behind us and they were using some pretty raunchy language very loudly. I was annoyed and simply flagged the server down and told her that we were going to need to change tables.

To answer your second question, I NEVER use foul language around anyone else's kid...the last thing I need is for some parent to call me upset because I was cursing. I think it's tacky anyway, and wouldn't do it even without the possibility of a parental confrontation.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't cuss in front of my kids, and they aren't around anyone else that cusses. If we ever were, I would tell the person nicely to please not use that language with my kids present.

Answer by missanc at 9:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I cuss in front of my kids. I try not to cuss a lot in public but it happens sometimes and whether kids are around or not.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My husband and I swear but we reserve the more sassy stuff for when our daughter isn't within earshot. I've been letting the "damn its" and "shit"s fly more often now. She is old enough where she knows that those words she cannot repeat but when she hears them from me she knows I'm frustrated (I don't use them toward her). I don't have issues with others swearing in front of her. Most of the time, people censor themselves just fine around her.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We didn't use bad words before we had kids and certainly didn't after we had kids. It was very rare that we had friends who swore,cused ,etc. either. My kids heard bad words when they were older,in school,and we discussed with them why using bad words was not appropriate.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I always try not to cuss using something like crunch berries instead. If any one starts cussing in front of my kids i just tell them little ears, most people respect that i don't want my kids to hear it.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 10:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We try not to cuss in front of our children and they aren't supposed to cuss either. We don't hang with anyone who can't control their mouth so it's not an issue. If it did come up, I would politely tell them to watch their mouth in front of my kids.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• depends on the word or how close my kid is hanging on them. If it is the F word I will say something, usually hubs will speak up. I may give a deer in the headlight look and eye motion toward the kid -or if it is someone who just does not get it, I send the kid to play in another location.....and yes, when my 70 yr old mema said damn I quickly said dang, in a tone. Usually I don't cuss in front of other adults so they already sensor their mouth just being around me.....(I do cuss online,but now have to send my kid out of the room since he is learning to read!)
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 12:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010