Problem's with teachers

I have an 8 year old son. He was sent to the office yesterday over missing homework assignments. I was informed just of one earlier this week. He did that asap and turned it in, wether he got credit or not. Anyway, he came home yesterday in tears because he was sent to the office and got detention. Do you think we should be notified of this either in e-mail or letter from the teacher? If this had been my 10 year old daughter I never would have known and she would then be in more trouble.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that you should have a talk with your son everyday & make sure he does his homework.. The teacher can give your child a detention without notifying you..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Detention & being sent to the office for missing homework for an 8 year old is WAAAY over the top IMO. I would be freaken PISSED!
    I would talk to the teacher & ask if she can send home a list of all the homework he is supposed to be doing for the week,
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• is this the school policy that was in the hand book at the begining of the school year? if so then you knew about and need to be reminding your son everyday about homework......if it wasnt in the handbook then you need to be have a frank talk with the teacher and other adults at that school about how to handle homework in the future......good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Detention for missed homework? That's ridiculous! Missing homework assignments has its own natural consequences in poor grades. If he's missing multiple homework assignments & the teacher is concerned, then it is his/her responsibility to request a parent/teacher conference or notify you in some other way that there is a problem, then discuss strategies to solve the issue. He's 8 years old & in elementary school, for goodness sake, not 15 & in high school where there is more responsibility. Your son is at an age where he is just learning to be more responsible for himself & his things & the teacher should be positively reinforcing this life skill, not punishing him when he screws up, as 8 y/o boys will do. It's time to have a talk with this teacher.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would request a meeting with the principal and the teacher. My son is also 8 and while I do believe that they have to be responsible for their homework at this age I think that being sent to the office and given a detention is over the top. Afterall he is what either in 2nd/3rd grade!?! That a bit extreme. I would be in that office ASAP! Good luck!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I woud find out what the class rule is for not doing homework. I would also chat with your son and let him know that he is going to do his homework, then talk with the teacher and find out a way to make sure you can get the assignments so you can make sure he gets it done.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Urg. I am so sorry for him. I hate the idea of detentions regardless of the reason. And absurd for a child in elementary school. For serious offenses I find detention worthless. For something so trivial as homework....way to instill the love of education, learning, and respecting the institution of academics.  Serious offenses should be community service in some way or related to the actual offense.  Forgetting homework is not a major thing.  If you forget then take the low grade and move on.  When grades come along or updates...then that is the time to go whoah...what is up?  Or if a child misses several then contact the parent.  But in general a child's responsibility is to also learn to hand it in themselves and not have mom or dad called every time it doesn't get handed in.  If teachers had to do that for every student they would never not be on the phone.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would tell my child to serve the detention and treat it like it should be treated. As a life lesson. You can't really change school policy at this very second. You can work towards changing it in the future if you belong to the PTA. Let your son know this is not the end of the world, yes this is over kill, but he has to follow school policy. And hopefully he will not misplace or forget homework again. After one assignment? Rediculous! Treating kids like criminals should be criminal. At least for this. Have cookies and milk or some special snack waiting at home after he serves his consequence. As he is eating sit down and encourage him to do his homework right that second. Show him life has ups and downs. This is a bummer but by far not really the worse thing ever.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2010