Do you have a tougher time working out in the winter?

I do! Ever since the weather snapped cold here, I am literally forcing myself to exercise. I'm just so warm and snug in my houseclothes and fuzzy bathrobe, the last thing I feel like doing is stripping down to my exercise shorts and tank (I work out indoors in the winter). Plus my muscles seem to feel tighter and stiffer than they do in the warm weather. Even though I am sticking with my workouts, I find they're not as satisfying, like I can't really get into as much because I feel stiff.
Anyone else experience this?

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 10:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• There is no gym here so my working out means doing things inside and then walking around the neighborhood when the weather is warm. I have a very hard time doing this in the winter. I won't put my kids in the stroller and take them out in the cold just so I can walk which leaves me two options. I can either do it early in the morning before DH goes to work when it's below freezing or wait till DH gets home which is after dark. Yes, winter does a number on my ability to exercise.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I didn't start going back to the gym till 5 weeks ago. I've always found it easier for me to work out in the winter time lol. I think it's because summer is so hot, so the last thing I want to do is get hot and sweaty AFTER being hot and sweaty from the weather lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I do have a harder time trying to work out in the winter. Mostly because with the cold weather comes the aches and pains. I broke my leg 2 years ago, and ever since, it gets achy in the cold.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes!! I struggle with this also! I work out at a facility..and I go home after work, change..and then back out to work out. Once I am home..it's hard to leave my warm and cozy house to go strip down to work out clothes..that Im freezing cold in. lol...
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I've had a tougher time getting on my WiiFit with how our living room is situated. There's not a lot of space and it requires moving our big coffee table around.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• As oddly as this may sound..for ME..I have an EASIER time working out during colder months--probably because the heat makes me more weak and sluggish (although we do have a house with air conditioning and heating)..and I also workout at home...to me, the gym is too inconvient since I hate waiting in line for machines, or counting my reps, I just pop in a workout dvd at home--and done!

But I love the colder months because I feel personally I have MORE energy..since we live in the South--and gets way too humid and hot. I hate the outdoors out here..lol (From CA originally where weather is always perfect). ;)

Anyhow...I also feel more motivated to work out during winter because I know the holidays bring in MORE evil calories, so that keeps me motivated to workout as well.
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes. It helps to do a longer warm up before your workout. Make sure you include stretching.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes, even my dogs don't want to go for a walk with me.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Raelene, I'm in the south too, and even though I know I'm going to get hot working out in the summer, it's like my body cooperates better...my muscles feel more flexible and energized.
    Those evil calories are the reason I keep making myself do it in the winter, even though it's the last thing I feel like doing! ;-)
    vicesix

Comment by vicesix (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2010