Was I out of line?

Last night at work we were talking about our favorite shows and somehow got on the topic of this woman who lost her two kids and husband. Fellow co-workers were wondering how she got out of bed in the morning after such a loss. I'm pregnant and weepy so i just start bawling.

On my way home I just keep think about this conversation. When I got home my kids were still up (it was past ten so they should have been in bed) so I just sat there snuggling them and crying for about half an hour. My MIL lives with us, she was like "what are you keeping the kids up for? We have an early day tomorrow." I told her to F off, now granted I shouldn't have said that in front of the kids.

My hubby generally gets home from work between midnight and 1 so I went to bed, and had my son in bed with me (he had a nightmare about 11:45 and wanted to sleep with
mommy). So every couple of minutes I look at the clock and hubby doesn't come in the bedroom. By three I fall into an unease sleep. I wake up at 8 and start panicking, hubby still wasn't in the be room. So I run out my room looking for him, he was just about to carry in some wood. I grab him and just start sobbing into his chest.

My MIL starts screaming at me that I'm preventing mu hubby from getting his work done. Hubby tells her to go away cause obviously I need him. So I tell him about the conversation at work and he said he was sorry for not coming to bed he fell asleep in his chair and he'll try to come to bed every night.

So after I let hubby go my MIL starts screaming at me that I'm out of line and I need to watch myself.

So was I really out of line?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 10:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Well first of all you are pregnant which causes a whole slew of unrational emotions but you are also a mother and hearing news such as you did can really cause you heartache. Not because you knew or were close to the person who lost her husband/children but because it hits close to home and makes you think about your own family and the hurt it would cause if you lost them. So I understand the tears and the need to want to hug your children/husband. Yes its a bit over the top but hey, everyone is allowed to have a moment like that from time to time. It sounds like there is tension between you and your MIL that is not new. I think she is out of line especially since she is in YOUR home. Telling her to F-off, yeah probably not the best idea (although many of us would like to say that to our MIL from time to time). I would have your hubby talk to her about her actions since he seems to understand. Best of luck!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Out of line? NO! Overreactive? Yes, it's called being pregnant lol. Your hubby understands and that's all that should matter.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well,you do have a flair for the dramatic it seems.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• In my honest opinion, your hormones are turning you into a drama queen.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Dare I say you were annoying not ot of line...there is nothing out of line about this. You have extra hormones and emotions right now. If you were like this all the time you would drive me crazy lol it sounds like normal hormones to me. You were probably a nit more emotional or dramatic than the average person but losing 2 kids and a husband would be awful and you deeply felt and understood that womans pain...your MIL can get over it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• your mil needs to chill out.. you are just emotional and she needs to learn to cope with it better.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i agree, im 4 months pregnant and this being my first im no expert but it sounds like a normal case of hormones and maybe its been AGES since your MIL has been pregnant but she should try to remember what it was like and be a little more understanding herself.
    brooklynohlordy

Answer by brooklynohlordy at 10:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Your mother in law needs to back off. You're pregnant and even if you weren't that's your husband. If you need to cry on his shoulder thats between you and him.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I had stuff happen kind like that to me when I was prego. i would just sit there and cry and my hubbies family would be like "Are you ok?" I just sat there and was like "Yeah, I don't even know why i'm crying, it won't stop!" SOOO EMBARRASING! As a mom your MIL should be understanding and had a good nights sleep to get over her anger at you IMO. Just sit down with her and explain your emotions.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes, it sounds more like hormonal than being out of line, but I have to think that dear mil is throwing fuel on the fire too. I think you should just try to breathe deeply and count to ten when you start to feel emotional and see if you can get a little more control on your own. Having mil there sounds stressful in itself. Try not to react to her, try to ignore her because it seems to me that she is really over stepping some boundaries and she is the one who is a little out of line. But when you react emotionally to her, it doesn't put you in a good light. You are lucky to have an understanding husband.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010