Extending Unemployment Benefits a tragedy right up there with Pearl Harbor?

Christine O’Donnell is forming a new issues-oriented political action committee called “Christine PAC,” and at a launch event for the group in Virginia yesterday, O’Donnell called the extension of jobless benefits a “tragedy,” comparing it to Pearl Harbor and the death of Elizabeth Edwards:

“Today marks a lot of tragedy. … Tragedy comes in threes,” O’Donnell said. “Pearl Harbor, Elizabeth Edwards’s passing and Barack Obama’s announcement of extending the tax cuts, which is good, but also extending the unemployment benefits.”

O’Donnell continued: “The reason I say this is a tragedy is because his announcement of economic recovery was more of a potpourri of sound bytes. It’s like he took a little bit of what each party wanted and put it together. It’s not a solid plan constructed on sound economic principles.”

O’Donnell immediately tried to walk back her characterization of unemployment benefits as a “tragedy,” telling reporters after her remarks, “That’s not what I meant at all.” “If we’re going to extend the jobless benefits we have got to cut spending programs and that’s the flaw in his announcement,” she said. “That’s the tragedy.”

O’Donnell, who has spent much of her adulthood unemployed, appears to have avoided collecting unemployment insurance herself thanks to her perennial campaigns for public office. “Staffers on her previous campaign for Senate and O’Donnell’s own financial filings reveal that the unemployed O’Donnell used campaign funds to pay for meals, gas, bowling trips, and personal rent, even long after the campaign had ended,” CBS reported in September. Indeed, her use of campaign funds for personal expenses — she even used donations to purchase a mattress — drew scrutiny fromU.S. Attorney’s office and the FEC. But not everyone can repeatedly run for office to subsidize their unemployment.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What the heck do pregnant mothers do who cant work due to bad pregnancies?
    im 4 months pregnant and ive been on zofran and every other nasuase medicine.
    ive given up my job managing my family restuarant because of the severe nasuase and any other job wont hire because i am pregnanct.
    what does a women do!?
    brooklynohlordy

Answer by brooklynohlordy at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I wonder why anyone even takes her seriously. I thought her "15 minutes of fame" had expired?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• In my opinion it is no comparison to Pearl Harbor.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Consider the source- FINANCIALLY speaking this woman has shown to be a failure. She really needs to think before she opens her mouth. The people of DE spoke and they said, NO" to CD- too bad she did not understand the message.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Wow....she just made Palin look smart...barely.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• She's an idiot. I swear if she represented my party I'd be so fricken embarrassed.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Where are they going to get the money for the extensions?? Sound good but is it it really good for our country?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• LOL, Mom2Just1. I agree!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

In reality it's Not good but since they've done nothing to create jobs or change the way things are going in the workforce they have no choice. You can't have millions of Americans without some sort of income, piddly income at that. Now if the GOP would get their head out of their asses and work for this country instead of just the rich and their so called " Us vs Them agenda" maybe these millions will not need extensions and our country will start recovering...

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Where are they going to get the money for the extensions??

More debt- Cutting those tax cuts, even for those making over a million could have helped, but in the game of politics it's tit for tat- guess who always loses?No talking about the deficit- NO ONE appears to care-NO ONE wants the solutions to affect them or their pocketbook. I can not fault someone who needs to feed and house their family because their long term job was sent to China or India- wonder what field people should choose for retraining? Hope they do not all choose the same field.....

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010