Agree or disagree? - Paul Kurtz

"When religion manifests its tenets in government, both democracy and modern science take a back seat to the voice of ancient rigid authority, and progress is halted. The importance of maintaining secular governments cannot be overstated, and we find increasing need to defend rational secularism before faith-based damage become insurmountable." - Paul Kurtz

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• News flash!! Moral values (minus the specific belief in the all-mighty deity) are shared by many other religions and people who follow no religion. It isn't some pie-in-the sky god that gives us these values, but something that comes from within us. Regardless of what faith our founders followed, and not all of them were Christians, this country was not founded on religious zealotry or even religious principles.  Reason, not blind faith, is what makes for the most solid foundation.  There are many examples throughout history of how dangerous religion is when mixed with government, and that is one of the big reasons for founding this nation.  Our founders knew the hazards of basing our government on religion, and that's precisely why, regardless of their personal beliefs, they wrote the Constitution and especially the First Amendment.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Again, anna, I have to respectfully disagree. I don't know where you get the idea that not having a blind faith in a religion or a deity makes one spiritually bankrupt. That implies that we are devoid of feelings, that we lack compassion, and that couldn't be farther from the truth. My daughters and I are very compassionate people, caring for humans, animals and the environment. We have faced diversity and strife, and I've yet to cry out to some deity to "give me strength" because I know that the strength lies within myself.

It's pretty presumptuous of people to assume that Agnosticism or Atheism leaves us without any morals or any sense of obligation to others.  There are plenty of people, by the way, within the prison system, and plenty in mainstream society who profess a belief in a higher power who commit atrocities.  I say again that religion has nothing to do with morality.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• And I have to adamantly disagree with this statement:  The only humans that do not need a belief in something greater than themselves resort to domination over those that do because they have no fear of repercussions.

That is systematically, categorically and completely untrue.  I don't have a belief in "something greater than" myself, and I have yet to resort to dominating anyone or anything.  I have no desire to dominate.  That is such a ridiculous statement.  I don't want to be rude--I'm tired of these sections getting nasty and lacking in anything resembling debate--but I have to say that there is nothing even remotely true in that statement.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• AGREE !!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree that there is little room for religion in politics. I think the wording of the statement above was purposeful-to incite anger. I do not believe that religion is evil, corrupt or even rigid (some). I do not believe that mainstream religions damage modern science or even the democratic process. Zealots and the mentally ill can and often do take religious tenets to an unhealthy level.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sisteract put it well. The statement was just for drama
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Faith based damage?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I completely agree with that statement. Religion should have no place in government.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Good morals and values are learned and then practiced. Who will teach you...government or God

Who will teach you? YOUR PARENTS, to whom your Creator entrusted you. It's the parents job to instill values, morals, encourage learning, mentor, guide, love and provide a positive example. Hopefully the PARENTS have an appropriate moral compass and LIVE what they PREACH. Words mean nothing in the grans scheme of things...... The Creator gave all of us FREE WILL-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010