Why does it anger people that Christmas has become so secular?

Even the most die hard Christians tend to understand that the majority of today's Christmas traditions came from previous Pagan communities, traditions, practices and beliefs. Now, weather you see them as Pagan today or not, there is simply no refuting the idea that at one point they were something else and they were altered to fit the "new" beliefs of those who had previously loved them.

So, why does it then anger people that these beloved customs and traditions are once again being altered to fit the needs and beliefs of the common people?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Nothing angers me at Christmas time! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't know anyone who is angered by this.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

Allow Me to Introduce You

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• LOL NP!

GREAT QUESTIONE, BUMP!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We celebrate gift giving day. So as not to anger our very Christian neighbors who can be very uncomfortable to be around.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Wildflower - You must be new! You'll see it... The closer we get to Christmas, the more and more people are upset by the fact that there are *gasp* non-Christians celebrating Christmas...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• ashisamom - we actually have "Present Day" with my mother's family. They are JW, so they don't do Christmas or anything similar. But as a way to kind of replace the fact that they weren't involved in the Celebration of the holidays with my kids we invented our own day... We do gifts and dinner with them... So my kids actually get 3 holidays rather than one because they do Christmas & Yule as well.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• People who are ashamed of having their question history page linked should probably just delete their questions instead of voting down someone for pointing them out.

blowing kisses

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I dont care what other people do, but I do believe Christmas is a christan holiday, to celebrate the birth of christ, hence the word christ mass. So I hate to see people taking christ out of christmas, or to see churches and others caving to the norm of not wanting to offend anyone so they wont even put up nativity scenes and such, or how people feel the need to say pc happy hollidays instead of just merry christmas. But on the individual end of it, if you dont believe in christ you still have every right to celebrate christmas, but if your celebrating christmas why is it such a hard thing to accpet that it is a christian holiday (regardless of where some of the traditions may have stemmed from it IS a CHRISTIAN holiday) and how people get so offended to hear merry christmas despite the fact that they have a christmas tree in their house, and are celebrating the same holiday.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Who knows. To be honest I didn't realize people could be angered by such things until I came to this site and found there are die-hard christians out there. I guess they need something to be upset about.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2010