• In the Spotlight:

Those who support Obama's Health Care: Would YOU call this an unintended consequence ?

In an unintended consequence of the new health care law, drug companies have begun notifying children’s hospitals around the country that they no longer qualify for large discounts on drugs used to treat rare medical conditions.

As a result, prices are going up for these specialized “orphan drugs,” some of which are also used to treat more common conditions.

Over the last 18 years, Congress has required drug manufacturers to provide discounts to a variety of health care providers, including community health centers, AIDS CLINCIS and hospitals that care for large numbers of low-income people.

Several years ago, Congress broadened the program to include children’s hospitals. But this year Congress, in revising the drug discount program as part of the new health care law, blocked these hospitals from continuing to receive price cuts on orphan drugs intended for treatment of diseases affecting fewer than 200,000 people in the United States.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if the President and big wig Congress would take pay cuts and their healthcare was effected also. Then things would go alot differently than it has been.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Not sure about the UN part in unintended.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Carpy is dead on
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think that many things, like with the Fed Govt and Military, will never be known truthfully to the American Public.
    there will be instances when drug companies and hospitals will raise costs when it is not necessary and blame Obamacare.
    I also believe that the costs will go up in general because of the healthcare bill. Will the consumer ever really know in which instance the cost truly went up? No. Nor will anyone ever really be able to prove the reason.
    I can say for sure however, that just the introduction of Obamacare alone has raised costs and we were all told otherwise. So, if Obamacare was such a dire emergency to keep costs down and it didn't, why do we still have it?
    REPEAL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• This makes me sick. The men and women who did this are crooks...plain and simple. Heartless, cold, criminals.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• But this year Congress, in revising the drug discount program as part of the new health care law, blocked these hospitals from continuing to receive price cuts on orphan drugs intended for treatment of diseases affecting fewer than 200,000 people in the United States.

Congress really put hospitals and patients in a bind. I think this was an intended consequence by some progressives in Congress. Collapse, take over and oppress is the goal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I need more information before I could comment on this.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They didn't read the bill. There were whole chunks missing when it passed. {PAGES}

These aren't unintended consequences, to be sure. The same insurance lobby that got the rule put in that we all had to have their product is probably the same lobby that got this part in.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it is more insurance companies and drug companies are using health care reform as an excuse to deny these services.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree with Mom2Just1. The insurance companies don't want to pay. They are all about money, money, money. I take Effexor XR for anxiety, there is a new-ish (came out in July) generic, and my health isurance WILL NOT PAY FOR THE GENERIC. My co-pay is $50.00. I was taking 150mg and 75mg, I had to stop the 75mg.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2010