How should I ground my children for peeking in their presents?

I am very hurt. I spent all day yesterday picking out toys for my kids for Christmas just to have them peek in each and every present yesterday when I was taking a nap. How should I ground them for doing that. i understand they are kids but they need to know how to anticipate Christmas day! Please help. I do not want to be to harsh!

anjelita_bella

Asked by anjelita_bella at 11:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old are they?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I was always told by my parents if i peeked then they went back to the store.....and we always thought they did because if we peeked it was gone the next day...even though it was back christmas morning. But that stoped us....we thought we wernt getting anything lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They are 3, 7 and 8 years old. They are fairly young, but they know right from wrong. They even taped them back. i do not have $ to get them other presents.
    anjelita_bella

Comment by anjelita_bella (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Aww..dang.. That sucks! I would just take the presents out from under the tree and put them up.. so at least they can't do it again.. and take something away that they like.. tv, computer..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thank you Shelli! I am going to do that right now. Hopefully it will work, but I still think they need to be taught a lessen. Next year I will definetly not put anything under the tree until Christmas morning!
    anjelita_bella

Comment by anjelita_bella (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I know how you feel! but a punishment is not called for! The punishment will be there will be no surprise under the tree!

Answer by older at 11:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks super mom. I will take the tv for a day.
    anjelita_bella

Comment by anjelita_bella (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i have to say i dont think "grounding" is a good punishment, i was raised by my grandparents and perhaps their years of experience taught them how to think outside of the box. when i was a selfish brat theyd take everything out of my room and leave me with a sleeping bag for a week to learn to be humble. when i cursed or talked back, they didnt talk to me for days. all these lessons they taught WORKED and stuck with me. I would suggest whatever toys they peaked in, take them away and hide, and inform the children since they ruined the suprise youre giving the gifts to children who are needy and dont get gifts. then on christmas day give them their gifts but first explain how it made you feel and give them the oppurtunity to reflect on their bad act.
    brooklynohlordy

Answer by brooklynohlordy at 11:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I just thought these kids had a little more respect for me. I guess I have to talk to them on a kid level. No tv today for them. :(
    anjelita_bella

Comment by anjelita_bella (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well, another mom on here yesterday told her daughter they were taking the toy to donate to the local Toys for Tots bin. I totally understand your frustration. I found out after the fact last year my daughter who was just 7 looked and retaped them after she looked. Maybe what you can do now is just let them open them or make them wait and next year don't wrap or buy them until later IDK we hid our daughters there are none under the tree she can't figure that out. She also found the pillow pet we were giving her she isn't getting it until Easter now. Sucks to be her! I think they are so excited to see what they are getting and if it's really something they want. They are kids we just need to figure out how to outsmart them. Maybe just take them away from the tree and hid them and don't put them back until Christmas when you open them it's a thought. Good Luck
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010