teacher's meeting

Have any of you had problems with teachers. I am the one that posted earlier about missing homework. Just so mad you are afraid if you meet with them it wouldn't be pretty. I am sort of wantig to talk with my 8 year old son's teacher. I am afraid of what I might say and also my husband. I have spoken with her through e-mail and think I have things staightened out. This is her first year as a teacher and she thinks she knows everything. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah, take it to the principal.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Honestly I wouldn't be so quick to blame the teacher. After working in schools it is amazing what kids actually do with work that they are supposed to turn in. Sometimes it goes in the trash. Some times in another child's back pack. I am not saying that she is 100% in the right but she might not be 100% in the wrong. I did not see the other post so this is just derived form this.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• OHHHHhhh yes! You have to LOVE those first year teachers. BLAH.

Okay, here is my advice. You need to work with the teacher as far as possible before you go to the principal. If you aren't getting anywhere, the teacher digs in, then you go to the principal. But remember the principal can give a pretty cut and dry response, so it isn't always the answer you might like. That is why it is best to try to communicate in a respectful manner with the teacher, no matter how fed up you are. Since you sent an email, don't be afraid to communicate often to stay on top of things, just play nice and you will get further, in my opinion.

Also, be careful how much your child hears. Try as hard as it might be, to say nice, positive things about teacher when the child is around. You dont' want to sour them on their teacher.

If things get really bad you can go over the principal to the superintendent, but not unless you HAVE to.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Be kind. You do not need a reputation as being the bitch parent to work with. And believe me, I have worked in schools, yes teachers do talk and yes they use profanity describing what they consider pain in the ass parents. Be full of grace. Just ask for clarification on the homework policy. Policy is policy. As I wrote in the other post....you can't change the policy at this very second. You can work towards that later (see previous post). I know when your child is upset, in tears, and frustrated you want to rescue. This is a lesson for him and for you as parents. He has to realize that sometimes life is not fair. And I truly agree this policy of detention is beyond ridiculous, but it is still a rule. So sometimes we suck it up and move on. Making this a big deal creates the idea to him this is a big deal. It really isn't. Big deal is someone in his class dies, or someone is his family is sick. Detention

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• is something that happens but really won't impact the rest of his life. Ask yourself this for all his events: will this matter in a year? Next year a new teacher, different expectations, different work....so no it won't matter. If you can answer yes that it will impact him a year from now then make a big deal. Be positive even when you don't feel it. Fake it. Don't let him think you believe his teacher is full of shit right now. He needs to believe and trust in her ability to teach him. If he thinks you believe she is useless - she will be to him. Don't bother with the principal unless you really just want to question (not his detension) the current policy and ways to challenge that in the future. To make a change for all students and not just your child. Make this about the policy and not about your child serving detension.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2010