What is your routine if your kids get lice?

My kids came home with critters(I actually found them on one child and picked them all up from school) and I treated everyone in the house but while my kids were home, in addition to washing all of the bedding and treating the lice, we decorated for christmas, baked cookies, and did homework. I had a pretty good day!

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 11:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• CVS and wallgreens have the best lice treatment shampoo and other treatments.
    brooklynohlordy

Answer by brooklynohlordy at 11:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Cudos to you! I don't know how you got all of that done? I usually sit with my dd and go through her hair and pull out the lice. It took me two weeks with the last round of it. Thankfully,  my dd has not got them this year.way to go

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You guys are hilarious! I had terrible experiences when I was a kid, involving hours spent with my head down, ripping through my waist-length hair, being screamed at, belittled, told I was dirty. I don't want that for my kids. I'd rather catch the critters when they first pop up than have my whole family crawling because my kid was scared to say something.
    mlregalado

Comment by mlregalado (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Oh, and how I did it: I called my husband at work and told him I needed help(I have 5 kids and a busted ankle).
    mlregalado

Comment by mlregalado (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• The purpose of this question is to share ideas because I honestly sat down and thought about how to react to the critters before I went and got my kids. The day was very purposeful; we erradicated the critters and spent time together. I met no resistance from my kids because it wasn't posed as "You're dirty" or "It's all your fault" it was posed as a "We have critters, let's kill them!" What kid doesn't like killing critters?
    mlregalado

Comment by mlregalado (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• well my son isnt school aged yet, but i had it a few times when i was younger! my parents had to lave the nix on my hair for 4 hours then put vaseline on my hair to choke them out :p (i guess i had a strain of 'super lice' that was immune to normal methods at the time
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My girls got it last year, and then I got it. It was awful! It took us 5 months to get rid of the darn things! We went to the doctor and had to get prescriptions 3 times. The nits were too small to be gotten with the combs, so we all had to get our hair cut (mine was just to the top of my hips). I had to pick through everyone's hair every day, by hand, and pick out every individual bug and nit. We steam cleaned mattresses and then zipped them into barrier cloths. We eventually chucked out all the old pillows and bedding and just got new ones to be positive that wasn't an issue. All the stuffed animals were thrown out. We had the carpets cleaned and sprayed, the upholstered furniture too. It was AWFUL!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Shampoo from my store and the laundry products gets rid of them. My kids got them years ago and they were all dead overnight...eggs took a few days to hatch and then they were gone. Their Dr. was amazed at how well it worked. All without pesticides. Although washing everything in a panic is a huge job....but you are right it is only as big of a deal as you make it out to be.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• thankfully never had to deal with it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Wash all pillows, blankets & stuffed animals in hot water, then storing all extras in space bags. Vacuum twice a day. We got the super bugs last year & could not get rid of them with Rid or Nix. I finally slathered the kids' heads with olive oil & then wrapped their heads in plastic wrap & shower caps & left them that way for several hours. That finally killed the lice. I checked their heads every day for a couple weeks to make sure they didn't come back. It was a complete nightmare. We live on the north coast of Washington state & have the worst bugs of any place I have ever lived (lice, fleas, spiders).
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2010