Yes another one - looking for clarification

This is aimed more to those who are adamant about Christmas being CHRISTmas, etc.

Do you automatically assume that someone who exchanges gifts and puts up a tree is "celebrating Christmas" even if you acknowledge those things aren't really Christian? It seems the complaint is people who "celebrate Christmas" without Christ. Are they really "celebrating Christmas" or are you just assuming that because they do the traditional things they are "celebrating Christmas" because YOU associate all of those other things with your holiday?

What I'm getting at is I don't really see people saying "Mwahaha, I shall have a tree and egg nog and sing Silent Night, but I shall rebuke Jesus and make Christmas secular!" What I see is people who see someone put up a tree, drink egg nog, and immediately accuse them of "taking the Christ out of Christmas" because they don't do the parts the accuser thinks they should.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• banging head into walleye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i rarely try to guess what is in someone else's heart.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• santa blueMerry Christmas to All and to All a goodnight!!!

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand your question. I've told my kids that there are two ways to celebrate Christmas. One is the "Santa" way and one is the "Jesus" way. We happen to celbrate both. Other people do both, one or the other, or neither.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• That should be "celebrate both" - my typing fingers are sloppy today.
    Dr.Donna

• i'm with donna...we do both the santa way and the Jesus way...we have a little cake and sing happy birthday to Jesus too
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Those things have become Christian as well because we have adopted them into our religion too. Yes, they mean different things to different people. I think you're preaching to the wrong choir here, no one on cafemom seems to to push the CHRISTmas issue. You're just furthering the argument that non-christians can be pregidous against christians too. Enjoy your holidays.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Donna - this is from an answer to Sab's question, but I'm not trying to single that one out (that's why I started a new question) - it's something that gets said in one way or another whenever this comes up:

"So I hate to see people taking christ out of christmas, or to see churches and others caving to the norm of not wanting to offend anyone so they wont even put up nativity scenes and such, or how people feel the need to say pc happy hollidays instead of just merry christmas."

I'm wondering why the assumption is that someone who says "happy holidays" or refuses to put up a nativity is even celebrating Christmas in the first place, let along taking Christ out of it. For all they know, the person saying "happy holidays" is Jewish and the one who has a tree and no nativity is Hopi Tribe. If the non-biblical trappings aren't Christian to begin with, why is using ONLY those parts taking Christ out of it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I get what you're saying. I am really curious why it matters to some if I, or anyone else, celebrates the holiday without the emphasis on religion.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2010