Should children be protected from unhappiness and unfairness in life?

Do you protect your child from unhappiness or unfairness in life? Why/Why not?

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 11:26 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not to the extent that people do these days. The whole everybody-gets-a-trophy-and-we-don't-keep-score thing is over the top IMO. It doesn't prepare kids for real life. In real life you don't succeed at everything and every one isn't rewarded the same. You have to work hard to excel and that's not what kids are taught now days.
    I try to make sure my kids are happy, and we try to be fair but they are learning that life isnt always fair and happiness shouldn't depend on your circumstance.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• its a part of life, it wouldn't be fair to suddenly be exposed to it at 18 and never have learned to cope with it.
    besides unless you plan on never letting them leave the house and can never be a negative mood yourselves for 18 straight years, its not likely to happen.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No. I think there is a reasonable level that children should be exposed to. There is no benefit in children not understanding that the world isn't always happy and fair and wonderful.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I try to make them as happy as they can.. they have everything they need & they also have things they want.. but they know that we cannot have everything we want..

Sometimes they are unhappy, when they must go to their rooms for misbehaving & sometimes things just aren't fair.. but I think that will make them stronger in the future.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We are military so there is unhappiness with each move and deployment. I try to help them through what unpleasant feelings they have, and I try to minimize them when I can. I mean it is hard enough on them with the realities of this life, why not make it easier when I can.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I do to an extent. They need to have a taste of unhappiness though to be prapared for life in general.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I try to make them happy but sometimes life is unfair. I do not shield them from that. They learn daily that life isn't fair. My kids do not get treated the same because they do not act the same.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son experiences lots of unhappy times especially when he cant get his way or what he wants. As far as unfairness it's life you cant protect anybody from that. Sometime in life they'll experience it.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I do and I don't...they have to learn life is not "fair" and how to deal with that
    kinda depends on the situation
    I guess as to what I do or don't do
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010