Allowence?

Do you give your children allowance?

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 11:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our system is that there are certain things that everyone is expected to do as a member of this family and this household. Those things are just part of contributing to family life. Then there are extra things, a list of 10 or 15 different tasks on the fridge, that the kids can do to earn money. The amount they can earn is listed right next to the task, and the task has to be done well.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes. Some people think it's wrong, b/c they think children should do chores without being rewarded. However, we're trying to teach my stepson that if you don't work you don't get paid. If he doesn't do his chores one day he loses a days pay.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes, my 5.5 yo gets a 1 a week for her chores
    My 3 yo get 3 pennies for hers.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have an 8, 10 and 12 year old. I give them one only if they do thier chores. All I ask is they clean up their room. I get paid every 2 weeks, so I keep track of the days they do and pay them for it. In the reak world if you don't work you don't get paid. IMO it should be the same at home to get them prepared for real life.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No. My kids won't accept anything less than ten dollars and my 6 yo has thrown quarters at my face for offering her less than she wanted. I no longer give them a chance to earn money. They may have a chance when they are older but I do not like greedy kids. They get nothing until they can appreciate it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have a 5 yr. old and a 6 1/2 yr. old and I give them a $5 allowance each week if they do their chores. Its not hard chores (such as make bed, clean room, make sure they brush their teeth, etc.) To me, it teaches them responsibilities and teach them early in life that you have to work for your money as in any job. As they get older, I will up the chores, but right now they are young and the things they do are the normal things any child should be doing anyway. Hope this helps!
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• no. i never got one.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 4:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• sometimes.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• In our family, chores are required. We don't give allowance right now since our budget is really tight but when we have done allowance in the past, it isn't connected to regular chores. Daily chores are just part of life. I do offer cash "payments" for extra chores.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• no
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010