1st grade spelling words

Does your first grader have spelling words? If so, can you give me some examples. I'm homeschooling and just started the spelling book that came with my curriculum. I don't like it at all. The first list is easy enough, words like man, sit, cub, a, the. But the second list is things like coat, read, kick, came, and keep. How is he supposed to remember on only the second time he has ever done spelling, whether the silent vowel is an a or e or comes before the consonant or after. It seems so stupid. I'm going to have him do the activities in the workbook because I already have the book, but I won't be doing tests.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In case your wondering what I would have him do instead, first, I wouldn't introduce long vowels so soon, and second, I would first do silent e at the end and then other vowels later. But that's just me. I suppose I could, but he likes to do workbooks so I'll just stick with what I have. Maybe he will surprise me.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I highly recommend Grade 1 building spelling skills workbook by evan moor.
    I started my kindergartener in this workbook to prepare her for first grade, it is wonderful!

Or look up a dolche word list for grade 1 and start with that as a spelling list.

You can get it at http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/home/home.jsp
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Those are similar to what my first grader is seeing - if not a bit more simplistic. This week, one of his words is "together". His teacher focuses on phonics rules for their weekly lists. To study with him, he gets a spelling test at home every day - I hand him a piece of paper and he has to write the words as I say them. Any he gets wrong, he writes 5x each - this is in addition to the activities they do with the words at school/in homework. By the time Friday rolls around, he usually knows how to spell all of the words.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You say this list is more simplistic, has your son only been doing spelling for one week?
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sorry if that was rude, the simplistic comment just upset me a little bit. Anyway, I think this book, and your child's teacher, are trying to do the same thing, teaching spelling through phonics. Phonics is great for reading, phonics doesn't work so well for spelling. Maybe I find this unreasonable because I was a terrible speller as a child. I really didn't learn to spell until college.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son started first grade back in September, although his spelling lessons started back in kindergarten, so he has been doing it for longer than your son. I think he's been doing great with the phonics for spelling. Since he started, the words have been tailored to pay attention to specific rules. They are taught that a sound can be spelled in several ways and that some letter combinations can produce multiple sounds. I've actually been really impressed by how quickly he's picking it all up. I think it does actually work really well for spelling, too.

Don't worry - I wasn't offended, nor was I judging where your son is. Good luck with homeschooling. I commend any mother that tackles that. I wouldn't be able to!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Again, get the evan moore workbook. What I love it is that it has about 5 exercises for each list of age appropriate spelling words, so they have fun while learning and memorizing these words. It is also laid out in weeks, so it gives you a good plan to follow. At the end of the exercises, there is a place for the test, and by then your child will be ready. Just try it, you will be happy. AND the word lists do have a method, for instance week one has a short a words...AND there is a lot of guides and instructions for teaching the spelling lists too!

Here it is for $20:
    http://www.evan-moor.com/Title.aspx?CurriculumID=3&ClassID=180&SeriesID=14&TitleID=42&EmcID=40
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks, I will look into that book.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• : )

My mom was a long time teacher with an excellent reputation in our community. She approved this book too. It should really make your spelling lessons easier. And remember, if your child is new at learning spelling, it just takes a little time and practice.

If you want some more friendly advice, for successful spelling & reading:
    1) make sure that your child can first read every alphabet letter and tell you the sound(s) that letter makes.

2)Print out the dolch pre primer through primer word lists, these are the frequent sight word lists and make sure he can read all of those words to you by sight.

3) He should be reading the step one level reading books up to little chapter books like Nate the Great or Cam Jansen and then doing the spelling lessons.

And please understand, not talking down to you because he might be doing all of these already. I just don't know, and these are my personal steps to a successful
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I appreciate that. I'll have to check out the dolch lists and Nate the Great and Cam Jansen books and see if he can read those. I think one of the hardest things for me with homeschooling is that I have to trust this curriculum to be complete and to be teaching him what he needs to know. I really don't know how to evaluate it.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010