Is it right to make me do this?

I am a home nurse and I fell at work the other day. I went to the dr. and he says I have a torn rotator cuff and strained muscles. He put me on modified work duties. Unfortunately, there is nothing in my job that I can do that can be modified. So, my case manager told me in order to still get paid (half pay), I had to stand out on the street corner with a sign for my company's services. It is 30-35 degrees where I live in the day time. Not to mention, I can barely stand up from the back and shoulder pain. Is this right for them to make me do this? I am involved in a workers comp case, but I dont think I should have to stand out in the cold with a sign on a street corner for the hours I would normally be working in a client's home.

ProudMommie87

Asked by ProudMommie87 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• No. Sounds like a punishment to me. There has to be filing, answering phones, helping people walk or something you can do.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I guess if that is what you are able to do to be able to collect their paycheck, then yes. You work for them and right now your ability is limited, but if they can find some way for you to continue to be a valuable employee, while you heal, then you do what you have to do.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Tell her you are contacting an attorney and see how fast her attitude changes! LOL! Then, pick up the phone and call an attorney, some offer free consultations.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It's not right, but where I live they can do it.
    addavis06

Answer by addavis06 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• where I work if it is modified duty the employer can assign you any work that you are concidered able to do. They do this so they don't have "lost time" cases. Is there normally someone who does this sort of thing for your company? Is so, it may be hard to fight it but if they just made it up I would call the labor dept and see if they can really do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think you could try and go back to the Dr. tell him what they are having you do and see if he will put you on workmans comp until your arm is feeling better. I am not sure if they are able to do this or not. They might say that because you can do light duty and this is all they have this is what you have to do.

I hope it gets worked out for you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks you guys! I am in the middle of a worker's comp. claim right now and no, there isn't anyone else that I know of that has done this type of thing before. I will notify my dr. and ask him what he thinks of it. Thanks again!
    ProudMommie87

Comment by ProudMommie87 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Go talk to the HR manager, not your case manager.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• if you need help aquiring a lawyer our network is affordable, like health insurance its legal coverage aat group rates. best of luck.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• where I work if it is modified duty the employer can assign you any work that you are considered able to do.

I thought this^ was true as well. I know nurses that I work with who have experienced injuries at work and come back light duty answer phones, sharpen pencils, run specimens, fold linen and just help as needed. I'd think holding a sign all day would not be conducive to healing a torn RC.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010