I think next time I am grocery shopping, I am going to check everyones items in their cart, just in case they are on food stamps.....

See how stupid that sounds ?

I cant understand how people think they should beable to decide what a person can and cant get while on foodstamps...

yes there are some people who abuse the system but there are ALOT of people who have worked hard and fell on hard times and need assitance... does that mean they shouldnt beable to have a frozen pizza, a pack of christmas cookies, or heaven forbid a tub of ice cream... and of course I understand EVERYONE who thinks this way ONLY eats healthy food ( that is sarcasm ) ....

I always hear of this on here, but now I have actually experianced it first hand and it makes me so damn pissed off !!!!

My husband and I have both worked since we were 16 years old, we were never on any kind of assitance until I got ovarian cancer... I was too sick to work and then my husband lost his job because he had to take me to appts. and such....

We were in the store I had a frozen pizza and ice cream in the cart because after getting chemo, I dont feel like cooking and therefore I pop the pizza in the oven... and ice cream seems to be the only thing that I can keep down ( not to mention the pizza was only 3.99 and the ice cream was 2.50 ) .... and we got a pack of sugar cookies so we can make christmas cookies with the kids ...In line as I was getting the card out of my purse, it fell on the floor the cart noser behind me seen it and just had to tell me how people on food stamps need to take a food prep class and instead of junk the only thing that should be aloud in my cart if fresh veggies and fruit, and that it makes her sick that welfare people get to buy junk with HER money ...

I wish i could of slapper her, I really do.... but no i started crying , right there in walmart in front of everyone....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Excuse my language.. but SCREW HER!!! People need to mind their own damn business & just because some of us are less fortunate than others and need a little help, doesn't mean our children shouldn't get snacks and things! I have had the same job for about 6 years and right now I need food stamps.. & I don't feel the least bit bad about buying snacks for my children!!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Wow, that was really rude of her. People can be extremely judgmental. Excuse me, but everyone needs an easy pizza night every now and then.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• That is so horrible and Im sorry that happened to you. Some people need to pull their head out of their butt and take a whiff of fresh air. I agree that some people abuse it but everyone shouldn't be harassed just because of those people.
    addavis06

Answer by addavis06 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think that what should be limited or eliminated is Steak, lobster, candy that kind of things. I also think that toilet paper, laundry soap, shampoo should be able to be bought. I know people fall on hard times but I also know ALOT OF PEOPLE that are just on them that don't need to be they have kids in school all day long while they sit on their butts. I know this for a FACT! I think people should at least try to get a job even if it's McDonalds I can see people still eing on Welfare if they are at least trying most are not even trying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am sorry. I do think this system of a card is so much more compassionate. I used to be a bagger and I'd see these poor people rip out their food stamps and be embarrassed. (You couldn't rip them out of the booklet beforehand and slip them to the cashier). I always felt so sad for them to have to prolong the agony. Of course there were a few that seemed to be proud that they were on food stamps.. or didn't care what it looked like, but mostly the people wanted to quietly get their stuff and get out.

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree with SuperMommyy if more people would mind their own business this world would be a better place. I am with you and would want to slap her, hell I just might have. Just hang in there!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Anon.. People on assistance shouldn't get a steak every now an then??!!! Just because some abuse it doesn't mean those of us who don't should be told what to buy. Do you think my kids don't like steak? Candy? Well they do.. and I work my ass off and I'll be damned if I let somebody bring me down because I need a little help!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'd just thank her for paying for my food and walk off. Her ignorance is worse than someone needing fs. Ice cream has healthy properties. My doctor used to have me buy it for my daughter all the time for the calcium since she was a picky eater and wouldn't drink milk. At least you had a balanced meal! lol (learn to laugh at idiots, it will make you feel better!)

Answer by admckenzie at 11:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• but blaming everyone for those people that do abuse the system isnt fair ... that would be like me thinking that every long blond hair woman with a nose ring cant be aloud around married men because my brother in law cheated on my sister with a long blond haired woman with a nose ring..... that is silly to think that way...

maybe everyone complaining should compaign to just make the process of getting food stamps better ( like tey actually follow up on people who have it to make sure they really need it ) ... If it bothers you that much, wouldnt that be a better use of time ?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am so sorry that happened to you. Yes you are right. There are situations like yours when being on food stamps is necessity and greatly needed. Right now during this economy there are many more than not, I think.

It was none of her business, that was not HER money, but YOUR money from all of the years you worked hard and contributed.

On the other hand, just to be "fair" for lack of a better word. There are many people who make a living out of the welfare and food stamps. Years ago, My ex sister in law refused to "let" my brother take a job that I found him making decent money, not ooodles, but decent, because they would lose food stamps. She would give the kids the fs card and they would go to the store and buy bags of chips and cases of pop. She didn't cook, my mom did, with her own money, they lived with my parents, and the fs card was from another state even. She should've gone to jail for fraud.
    Keilman1

Answer by Keilman1 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2010