What would you think of sil? Naughty or nice?

I invited her two weeks ago. She never called back to tell me that she was not coming over for the holidays. She according to her does not want to get stressed during the commute to our house.OL. Then she throws in the dig I know mom is coming over your house for the holidays but if dad continues to get worse I am inviting them over my house. SHe did the same thing for Thanksgiving. She had the family go over her house since she did not want to commute or hang out over someone else's house. My mom told me my sil knows she she is coming over my house. On the last day depnding on my father's dementia she willdecide what to do but to ignore what sil said about her snobby reasons for not coming over. What do you think of sil ? She is fighting with everyone in family over a vitage car my other brother gave away to another family member. She and my brother felt entitled to it because according to her it was promised to them for a little amount of money. Help what do you think of sil and what she is trying to do again? She wants the family to end up over her house. I can not stand this bs. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• NAUGHTY!! And not in a good way. ;)

She sounds like a spoiled brat. Ignore her and plan what you want to plan. If she doesn't show up that's her business. It sounds like your mom is on board to come to your house so ignore her.

Trashy attitudes don't get anyone anywhere.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It sounds like a power struggle to me, and she is definitely competing with you. I guess you will have to let the family decide where they want to go and just let her go on her merry way. If she is fighting with everyone, then most likely she will be quite lonely this holiday is my guess. Do your best to overlook it, don't sweat the small stuff and you will come out the better/bigger person in everyone's eyes.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sounds frustrating. I could tell you really, but based on what you have written she is trying to become the martyr of the family.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Ignore her.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Naughty!

Answer by older at 11:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• reindeer 2sleigh

She needs to chill out. Try ignoring her.

mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It isn't about naughty or nice. It is does sound like a smack down/struggle. But you can't have a fun one sided argument. So the question isn't about what she is doing or why....it is about how you respond. You have some graceful options. You can let people know your house is open for the holidays but please RSVP so that you can prepare for the number of guests. Having no pressure or expectations leads to be less stress for you. Or graceful way number two is to accept the invitation to her home. This has the advantage of not having to have your home open to the stress and traffic. And she can't argue if you go along with her invite. Either way, try responding with kindness, calm, and grace. She can be as crafty as she wants but you don't have to be. As far as fighting over assets....same thing. She can't fight when people don't really respond to her whines.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I will never go to her house. I have my husband's side of the family. I will try my damndest to have my father over and never ever give her the satisfaction of ever having to go to one of her parties ever again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Anyone else?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010